Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigneil

What have I undone?

Hi Guys

A bit embarrased asking this, just looking through the whole cooling system and got a bit tired blah blah, just replaced the header tank and a couple of pipes and was looking for the lowest pipe on the radiator to drain out the coolant. I knew this pipe was to small to be a coolant pipe but I removed it anyway - light yellow/green fluid came out.

I don't know what pipe would be needing to go to the front of the car, just under the radiator unless it was an oil cooler. However I am thinking it is the power steering fluid - just don't understand why it is going to the radiator area...

I know, I know

What happened was, the hose clip on what I knew was the lowest coolant pipe has seized (it's one of the stupid clips with a screw) so I went looking for another pipe... How do I remove a seized clip/clamp? I've soaked it in WD40, tried various screw drivers and strange devices hooked up to a wrench, also borrowed a 9/32 socket piece from a neighbour which still didn't work.

Ah the joys

I think it is power steering fluid, I don't think it is coolant, because I have filled it with water only, ready to start flushing the system and only a couple 100 ml of this yellow/green stuff came out. I'm still not 100% sure though. I'll just check where the pipes go when it is light enough, yes I was working in the dark, school boy

rubber pipe going onto a metal pipe which goes through the panel under the radiator, turns 90 degrees, runs just behind the spoiler for about 18" and then turns back and goes out back through the metal panel under the radiator? Yup, that's the power steering fluid cooler pipe... :roll:

Henny, yup that's be the one... my bad, I thought it was, just too dark to check the level of the power steering fluid and I was too tired to botherchecking where all the pipes go - numpty

Thanks for the help, I take it I can just top it up with VW stuff, or is there a special VR6 only formula?

Is there a way of breaking this stupid clip on the bottom rad hose?

Can't remove it for the life of me, surely someone has had to deal with a seized one of these?

nah, it's the standard VW green stuff...

The only way I've ever found to get knackered jubilee clips off is with a sturdy pair of side cutters onto the side of the worm drive... :|

ha ha true

I was a bit concerned that the old header tank was covered in a yellow/orange deposit but after filling it up and blocking off the pipes I could see there was a crack in the tank. I don't think my heater matrix was gone after all that.

Bring it on MOT inspector!

Cheers Andy!

Didn't realise that was were you kids drained the coolant from, I'll be creating a how not to guide very shortly!

I make so much mess when I play with fluids, I should really leave the engine bay to the professionals