Sign in to follow this  
White2505

EFI conversion questions

Need to pick peoples brains.

I have 2.0 abf bottom end, kr 16V head and k-jet mechanical fuel injection.

ideal long term plan is to turbo charge this set-up for some decent power.

HOWEVER

I can't afford to do it all in one hit but I like doing the tinkering thing and so am looking at a staged modification program that I can pay for over time getting each bit working well before introducing the next bit.

I was thinking I would look at improving the fuel delivery and then the ignition side of things and I would like to go megasquirt/sns I think.

so the first hurdle is access to a fuel rail so I can run electronic injectors rather than mechanical ones.

Did the later corrado's use a fuel rail for the electronic injectors? and would this be a straight swap?

if not has anybody else found a suitable existing VW fuel rail that will do the job?

I was hoping to get something from a breakers rather than a £150 aftermarket jobbie!!

How about you save up for the next year and then buy it all in one go? The practical alternative to paying monthly ...

I like the idea of tinkering and also getting the custom fueling and ignition side sorted and working effectively (and my ability to understand and tune it effectively) on the standardish engine before adding the turbo.

flusted has a k-star unit for sale...which is what I'm using for part of my 'interm' fueling solution for my turbo project!

You can also use it for custom timing maps, before you upgrade.

Cheers Dec I like the megasquirt option because pre-turbo I can set-up both fueling maps and ignition and spend time learning all the idiosyncracies of the system on a vehicle I know is running well at the moment. (I've probably jinxed that now having put it in writing!)

work done on it now will not be wasted as I'll be running the same known good pre-turbo set-up once the turbo is fitted.

This allows me to test each part of the set-up and get it working efficiently before adding the next bit.

I'm buying bits that are going to stay on the car rather than having to sell them off and buy the replacement system I plan on running ultimately anyway.