Sign in to follow this  
TomD

Rear Light Wiring......Woooooooooo sorted thanks Henny!!

Hi Guys!

Tried a search on this but nothing really helpful came up!

I picked up a set of standard rear lights for the Corrado as it had after market ones in, all went in ok but went to check all the lights work ok and then the problems started.....

The Reversing lights don't work. Checked the bulbs, all fine. looked at the wiring, this is where the fun started....

On the driver's side light cluster there are two holes in the back, one for the fog and one for the reversing light. But theres only one plug going to the bulb holder tray thing. The bulb that this plug goes to lights up when you turn the fogs on.... that side looks like this...

DSC00887a.jpg

On the passenger side, there's only one hole on the rear of the light cluster as the other is blanked (You only need a rear fog light on the drivers side for uk don't you??) But there are two plugs going into the bulb holder tray thing. A black, white and red plug that works the fog light again (bottom in the picture), and one that I guess is the reversing light, which doesnt work (top in the picture)

like this...

DSC00886a.jpg

Odd thing is that the two wires (Black and grey I think) that come out of the one on the passenger side that doesnt work (What I thought would be the reversing light) go straight across to the driver's side plug which is for the fog light....

I'm very confused, but the bottom line is that I have two plugs on the side where I need one, one plug on the side where I need two, the loom hasn't been butchered and the odd plug won't reach to the other side. And I have no reversing lights, or wiring diagram.

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x

What the **** is going on???

that's all fine mate...

The wiring loom for the tailgate runs down the left side of the boot lid (looking from the back) and into the left rear light cluster at the top. This has 3 wires - Brown wire = shared earth, Red plug = fog lamp, black plug = rev light.

There's then a second connector which links the Left hand cluster to the right hand cluster as they don't need to have any different signals (either both lights are on, or both lights are off for either Fog and reverse!) so there's no complications like with indicators... ;)

If you follow the little silver connectors on the boards you'll see that the connectors are both joined pin for pin...

Do your fog lamps work? If so, I'd be checking the fuse box as I'd put odds on that the reversing light fuse has gone... ;)

AFAIK there should be another plug hanging around for the driver/passenger side fog light, it's blanked off but the wiring still connects there doesn't it?

nope, just 3 plugs, one main feed (the 3 colour one) and then 2 on either end of the link cable.

3 wires in total:

Shared earth

Fog lamp positive

Reversing lamp positive

Trust me on this one, having rewired my tailgate on both my 'rados there's still parts of my body with scars on them 'cos of this wiring... :oops: :|

Aaaah ok....I think I get you!

So the reversing light has its own seperate fuse? Any idea which slot it'll be in and what ampage it is??

Just found a screw in the tyre so onto the next problem!! :)

I'll have a rummage and see what i can find!

:)

Thanks very much Henny!!!

no idea which fuse the reversing lights are on... you may also want to check the switch on the gear linkage in the engine bay as these have a nasty habit of being knocked off by cack-handed mechanics... :roll:

no idea which fuse the reversing lights are on... you may also want to check the switch on the gear linkage in the engine bay as these have a nasty habit of being knocked off by cack-handed mechanics... :roll:

Ok....Took every single fuse out of the fusebox and they're all fine, so that can be ruled out!

Where is the switch for the reversing lights on the gearbox?? I think that must be the culprit, other wise I have no idea!! :cry:

Eeek....MOT imminent as well! :(

if you look at where the shifter cables attach to the top of the gear linkage, there's a big black bit right at the front with a 2 wire connector on it. That's the reversing light switch...

That was the problem!

Found the plug, it was plugged in, so I pulled it off and gave it a good clean up, popped it back on and it works fine!

Cheers Henny, you're a leg end! :)