Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

16v exhaust manifold studs snapped

I've got a mk2 Golf 16v with a knackard engine and I sourced a second hand complete engine to swap. Thing is when the engine was removed they snapped a couple of the studs flush with the head, then gave up and cut the downpipe in half. Wish they'd done that to start with.

Anyway, any ideas of the best way to remove the old studs? I've got some new ones, and ideally didn't want to split the head to do it as apparently the engine was in a good runnable condition and don't want to throw unnecessary money at a head gasket set, head bolts etc.

Thanks.

Stud extractors, sometimes called "easyouts" or similar. And lots of WD40 or PlusGas. You could try drilling out and re-tapping or helicoiling, but you have to be accurate.

Worst thing you can do is snap an easy-out in there so be carefull if you use them, I prefer a good set of sharp drill bits and spend a bit of time drilling them out. You have to be accurate as said above, the pilot hole`s the most important to get right.

Thanks, have heard of these easyouts before but as you say, if I break one in there that's game over.