Sign in to follow this  
mwatson

Unknown loud noise in cabin??

I just test drove a 94 SLC and found an odd noise when speeding up. At a stand still the noise isn't present, but by 30mph both the engine and exhaust noise are drowned out by a very loud humming. Increasing speed up to 70-80 it gets louder/higher pitched. It seems to be completely dependent on car speed, not engine RPM, so I decided it must be something in the drivetrain. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Any help would be great! Other than this and some cosmetic issues, this car is perfect for me!

when you drove it did you try taking it out of gear when moving , if so did the noise go or did it stay constant ? if the noise was the same then its going to be a wheel bearing but if the noise went you could be looking at a a gear box fault , if it a wheel bearing then there very easy to do , fronts are a little harder as you need to press out the bearing , hope this is some help

Great thanks for the help guys.

I did take it out of gear to see if it stayed - it did. I let the car slow from 80->60 in neutral and the sound lowered in pitch/volume but was definately still there.

I don't think the car has had them changed ever, nor do I think the CV joints have been changed. Would you recommend I go around and change all four now? Any guess on how much this may cost for parts? for labor?

(I'm using parts+labor as a bargaining chip, and parts is for my own idea of what it'll cost me to fix)

any idea where (roughly) the noise was from (front/rear, left/right?)

Deffo sounds like a dead/dying wheel bearing from your description...

Good news is that rears are VERY cheap and easy to do. Fronts are also cheap, but are a bit more in-depth to change....

mate i wouldnt do the drive shafts unless there knackerd , why not pop the clips off and repack then with new cv grease if your concerned about them , if your not sure which bearing it is then start off doing the rears as there very cheap and very easy to do as i said before fronts will need pressing out so there a little more expensive , why dont you jack up the rear wheels and spin them if there worn you should be able to hear a rummble if there shagged also try rocking the wheel at the top and bottom for play this is the easiest way of finding the little bugger , you can also do this on the fronts to check for wear :D