Sign in to follow this  
1st rado for me

Sticky Clutch Pedal

Hi Guys

Sometimes my clutch pedal does not return when chaning gear and I have to pull it up with my foot.

I was thinking that I need to change to Clutch cylinders any advice on this would be very much appreciated.

1.8 16v btw

Cheers

also make sure it's not catching on any after market mats you have in the car...

Had this years back. Slave cylinder rubber gaitor was jamming the release rod. Changed, ok. You have to take the slave cylinder off to check, simple job.

I have had a look at the shelf trim which has some marking on it so it may be that gonna take a dremmel to it.

Buttles I dont suppose you can talk me through checking the gaitor on the slave cylinder?

Thanks again guys

Take that shelf off and try it...

If it persists then check your fluid level and look for signs of the slave leaking on top of the gearbox, they original slaves are metal sleeved inside so eventually corrode especially if the fluid is not changed reguarly.

Leave the hydraulic pipe attached unless you intend to change the slave. There is enough flex to move the unit around to see inside. It is attached with two bolts going into the bell housing. Undo those and slide the slave away. You will see a rod coming out of the unit with a rubber gaitor around it which stops crud getting into the unit. It is that gaitor on mine which had interfered with the rod jamming it into the unit. A new unit was the cure, been fine ever since. Hope it was the shelf!!

mine gets caught occasionally, it's usually when I'm at the lights and have it planted, caused some embarressing stalls a few times :oops:

Turns out it was catching on my aftermarket mats

Guys its not the shelf have trimmed it and does not catch gearbox does have some fluid on it also car judders slightly now when pulling away in first gear or reversing any ideas where I should start could this just be the slave cylinder causing the problems or am I looking at a new clutch as well.

I am glad I got the car cheap it goes in for new exhaust at longlife.

Hi, Yes very easy - especially with an Eezibleed kit...

If not using a kit then you need to open the bleed nipple, press the pedal, close the nipple and pull the pedal back up by hand and repeat at least 5 times...

Got new exhaust now looks and sounds great, also helped with juddering in first and reverse gears.

Ordered slave from GSF last night so fingers crossed I should have it tomorrow and can fit on Saturday.

I have noticed a knocking noise when I turn the steering wheel it is only on the initial change of direction and creaks a bit any ideas what this could be.

I will post some pics of car soon total cost of car so far is £950 not bad really the bodywork is in quite good nick just a couple of dings and few light scratches which I am going to try and T cut out on the weekend oh and some stonechips on the bonnet apart from that bodyworks in great shape seeing as it is 16 years old.

Not a bit of rust in sight.