Sign in to follow this  
tom br

2.0 16v corrado keeps dying! help!

my 16v corrado kept dying on me and got dyagnosed as having a fuel pump problem by vw. have replaced the fuel pump but the car starts but then cuts out straight after. have changed pretty much everything we can think of but still no better off. any ideas on wat the problem could be?

Changed all the HT leads and spark plugs etc?

How does it die out? Does it go lumpy then die out? Or is it straight away?

Which pump did they change? Check the in tank pump. Remove the cover in the boot and the output pipe, crank engine, and is fuel pumped out? If no then try pouring petrol down the pipe to fill the main pump. Will she then start and run?

Had this with my son's , still don't know why it would start then die!

What year 2.0 16v is it?

Sounds like the classic VW way.. change some random item, bill customer, fault not fixed, stand around and scratch head!

Could be something choking the fuel some where. Posibly fuel filter. My old 205 did this for a while. There was something drawn up from the tank which blocked an inlet in the carb. It drew itself through eventually. I changed the fuel filter as procedure.

maybe the pump can draw enough fuel to start the car when its priming on ignition switch in pos1 then its starved.

also change the ignition switch and check the fuel pump relay...

Are you sure your immobiliser is OK? Could be that?

Thats why I was asking about the year.. just wondering if the later valvers got the same in key immob thing as the later VR's did as obviously they're very well known for playing up and cutting out a few seconds after starting! :)

the car is a late 1992 k reg. before it went in to the garage it ran ok wen the engine was cold but as soon as it warmed up, the fuel pump started buzzing loudly and the car juddered and cut out?

does it stay alive if you put your foot on throttle at all?

I had a similar problem which ended up being a build up of carbon on the throttle body which was causing the butterfly to not alow any air through which starves the engine of air.

So gave it a good clean with carb+clutch cleaner and its ok now.

Just an idea mate.

you could drive it VERY gently at first but then more recently as soon as you excelerate at all, it stops. where abouts can you buy this carb+clutch cleaner?