Sign in to follow this  
billinjah

fan wiring

just a quick one ive fitted a kenlowe fan i want it to spin as fast as possible the original fans have 2 speeds am i right :roll: ? how would i get the kenlowe to spin on the fastest setting ive tried both the positive terminals and it spins the same on both which is fast enough to easily manage the engine temps but just in case id like it a bit faster, do i need to use both positives at the same time? dont want to blow my expensive fan up ya see! :D

The series resistance for the low-speed fan setting appears to be part of the original fan motor. I'd suggest using the red/white live as it's switched by the lower of the two temperature switches at 95 degrees; it's also linked to the fuel pump/radiator fan 'after run' control unit.

The red/black live is switched at 102 degrees.

bcstudent, is right, the original fan has 2 inputs for 12V. It then adds in the extra resistance to one of the terminals to make the fan slower. The car wiring doesn't do anything other than provide switched 12V at 2 different temperatures. 8)

The best way to do what you want to do (and the way I've run my aftermarket fan for the last 2 years) is to wire BOTH the low speed and hi speed +12V to the positive of the fan and the earth straight back to the battery. This way, if your fan switch ever fails on the low speed side, you'll not totally cook your engine as it'll kick in on the higher setting. It also means that the fan-run-on will still work (it's done via the low speed wiring).

The series resistance for the low-speed fan setting appears to be part of the original fan motor. I'd suggest using the red/white live as it's switched by the lower of the two temperature switches at 95 degrees; it's also linked to the fuel pump/radiator fan 'after run' control unit.

The red/black live is switched at 102 degrees.

Hi

Where do I find this control unit on 1.8 16v 1991 ?