Sign in to follow this  
CorradoDriver

Failure!

Hey,

i took my car for inspection today and it failed. :( My freakin right turn signal had melted inwards, my fog light was broken, my side view mirror was tarnished and the frekin ignition switch is messed up. Okay i need a little help locating some stuff

The ignition switch i have a post up but still dont know what i exactly need (electrical, tumbler so on)(I have to turn the key and then push it up for the car to start) so i need help with that

The fog light lense i found on ebay dirt cheap and currently winning the bid

the side view mirror i can get a sticky replacment mirror

last but not least i have no idea where to get the right turn signal that had melted in, i bought the left turn signal by accident thinking the person meant while looking at the car the right signal is the left (stupid me) but im gona sell it on ebay and maybe make a profit :) but i still need the passanger side turn signal

Please help

Thanks

The ignition switch i have a post up but still dont know what i exactly need (electrical, tumbler so on)(I have to turn the key and then push it up for the car to start) so i need help with that

Ignition switch went on my US-G60 recently, right b*stard to get out and replace as the lock assembly is held onto the steering wheel column with 2 shear-off bolts, which are both made of hardened steel ... nice ... NOT! By the sound of your description, it's your iginition switch that's gone, not the lock. The switch is located at the rear of the lock assembly on the right hand side of the steering column (obviously ;-) ). Tips are on the Corradoclub of USA site: Basically, if you can't get the tiny little screw holding the switch to the lock assembly out by hand or with some sort of funnily bent watchmakers' screwdriver, then simply chisel the head off, and use cable-ties to attach the loom connector and new switch to the lock assembly, thereby also improving on the original design :-) Even my local bodyshop does it like that, he told me. Get new switch from VW, not that expensive.

the side view mirror i can get a sticky replacment mirror

Is it just the mirror glas/reflector? Carefully pry that off with a plastic lever or something and get a new one from the junkyard.

i still need the passanger side turn signal

Ebay, Potters (http://www.parts4vws.com/) or similar places in the US.

Tempest

do u think the ignition problem could be a loose electrical portion of the switch like with the screw in the back?? and can i use this if i need to replace it??

clicky

Thanks

No, it's usually the switch that fails itself. I've tried opening the broken one on my C after I'd replaced it, but just broke it, as it's all moulded and sealed, not meant ot be self-repaired.

Tempest

Sorry to sound stupid but i thought the electrical portion was the switch?? the whole unit has two parts correct? the lock itself and the electrical portion. I feel so stupid i dont know what the switch looks like. Yesterday i opend up the whole steering wheel, took off the leg brace at the bottom then the enclosure to the ignition and turn signal and then i took off the steering wheel to see if i could maybe tighten the screw but theres little working space. When i replace the switch which i still dont know what it looks like do i have to replace the electrical portion and when i replace the switch does it come with a new key or can i use my old key?? If you dont mind can you show me what the switch itself looks like with a picture or 2, hope its not too much trouble

Thanks

Badly phrased on my side: The switch indeed is a combination of mechanicals and electrics, if you want to put it like that, but cannot be split into the 2 parts. It comes as a complete unit, sits at the rear of the lock barrel on the steering column. You do not need new keys when you change the switch.

Tightening or loosening the small screw won't make much difference, TBH, just change the switch.

Tempest

So all i need to replace is the thing all the way at the back of the lock barrel with the small screw. So i should unscrew it, and it should come out and just go out and buy the same thing correct??? and one more question can the driver side turn signal froma VR6 be used for a 91 G60, u said u had a US G60 so i though i would ask, person i know who has one is asking. Thanks

By the way u wouldnt happen to have a picture of the switch or the thing i need to replace? One more thing is this what i need

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/produc ... 0@Ignition Switch

or this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Corra ... enameZWDVW

So all i need to replace is the thing all the way at the back of the lock barrel with the small screw. So i should unscrew it, and it should come out and just go out and buy the same thing correct???

Yup, if you're lucky in that you can get to the screw and undo it ;-)

The part from Autohausaz is the one, but I would recommend VW original parts, as some of the 3rd party parts can go faulty quicker than VW's own parts.

and one more question can the driver side turn signal froma VR6 be used for a 91 G60,

No, as the VR6 uses the later style turn signal and fog light lense. On the early G60 (up to and including 1991) these lights are a bit more recessed into the bumper compared to the later spec. Corrados).

Tempest