Sign in to follow this  
bighands

LOADS of questions! - flywheel one needed ASAP

Well theres going to be!

Thought i should start thread as im in the middle of rebuilding the 2.0 conversion and already bit worried at the complete lack of front of car and boxes of new and old parts i have stacked around everywhere :roll: But im sure i will get my head around it all!

Soooo a few questions to start . .

1, Does any one no where i can get this kinda plastic corrugated split tubing stuff from in the U.K as need to replace the oil caked knackered stuff thats sort of left around the power steering pipes, and was also thinking it would be good to tidy up all the cables under there as well

http://cableorganizer.com/wire-loom/colored.html

2, Is it the bolt off a DX engine code i need for the bottom timing pully as this is the one i have, with a small amount of locktight? remember hearing storys of stretch bolt snapping ect

3, what spark plugs should i use, as dunno if i should use 1.8 or 2.0 ones as its a KR head ect?

that wil do till i think of some more!!

Andy

Oh god! Thought some place like that would do it, just cant find it, u no if its available in just plain ol black?!

Actually done quick search for it and its not the stuff, its made up of like lots of bits, not one complete tube if u get us, but close :-)

You need flexible cable trunking then. Any decent trade electrics wholesaler (or maybe even a good builders merchant) would have that.

Like this stuff - although 100 metres might be a bit more than you'll need...

:notworthy:

So i have spent well over 3 hours searching for that, ok i think i can deal with putting the slit down it myself but yea thats the stuff im looking for!!

Nice tidy engine bay here i come . . .

1 down . . .

Cheers fella :-)

bighands, I got some of that stuff from a car electrical and brake place - I bought 3 different sizes and they each came in bags of 25m and worked out at about £22 for all three - just have a look around in the yellow pages etc...

The electrical trunkings known as conduit, I used to work for an industrial lighting manufacturer and they put all the wiring in that stuff - I have a roll of it at home......dunno how it got there? :D

Ah nice! Your all good people :lol: Will put some on order next week!

Got another question now, the two flywheels between the 2 engines seem different, one looks like its had some material removed, like it could be lightened? but the one on the 'new' block looks like it doenst have the material removed on the block side, here are some piccys!

just different designs matey... Take 'em off an weigh 'em and I'll bet there's next to no difference.... ;)

right so i tried to bolt up the pressure plate the the torque settings given in the haynes manual (75 bs?!?!) thought that was WAY over what the little bolts could handle, but still a gingerley wound em in, SNAP :mad:

So as it is i had to swap the flywheels over anyway, and as u said thought as they were off might as well weigh them, and . .

1.8= 16.8 lbs

2.0= 20.8lbs

Nearly a quater lighter?!?

So has this been lightened at some point in its life, or just different engines?!

Oh and what torque should the pressure bolts be tightened to, really dont wanna wreck this flywheel as well, and should i use thread lock to hold the flywheel bolts back on, as only says 15lbs to torque them to, and they did have it on when removing them?

Cheers!!

75lb/ft is for the flywheel to the crank IIRC, not the clutch pressure plate which is more like the 15Lb/Ft you mention...

I'd guess that the later flywheel was heavier just to help with idling... if it was lightened I'd expect a SERIOUS difference in weight (~50%)... I am quite suprised that there is 4Lb difference though.... 8)

hmmm what i thought, the old engine was in a golf in the begining of its life i think?

good old haynes manuals, suppose i should no better than to trust it!

Cheers!!

Well theres going to be!

Thought i should start thread as im in the middle of rebuilding the 2.0 conversion and already bit worried at the complete lack of front of car and boxes of new and old parts i have stacked around everywhere :roll: But im sure i will get my head around it all!

Soooo a few questions to start . .

1, Does any one no where i can get this kinda plastic corrugated split tubing stuff from in the U.K as need to replace the oil caked knackered stuff thats sort of left around the power steering pipes, and was also thinking it would be good to tidy up all the cables under there as well

http://cableorganizer.com/wire-loom/colored.html

2, Is it the bolt off a DX engine code i need for the bottom timing pully as this is the one i have, with a small amount of locktight? remember hearing storys of stretch bolt snapping ect

3, what spark plugs should i use, as dunno if i should use 1.8 or 2.0 ones as its a KR head ect?

that wil do till i think of some more!!

Andy

I had a bottom crank pulley work loose :shock: but it's fine with a tiny amount of loc-tite, be careful though, apparently too much can squeeze out and affect the face/flat fitting of the pulley. (there's a thread on club GTI forum about it somewhere) I'd just order the correct new part from VAG for you're chassis/engine no/reg mark on your car.

If you're using the 1.8 k-jet system then 1.8 plugs are fine, I've used them for 50K miles on my 2L converted from a kr 1.8. no need to get a colder plug or anything.

you can always get that tubing off scrapped cars, passats etc. but more than likely it'll be oily :)

David.

hmmm what i thought, the old engine was in a golf in the begining of its life i think?

good old haynes manuals, suppose i should no better than to trust it!

Cheers!!

golf has an 020 gearbox, rod change, flywheel would be different.

David.