Sign in to follow this  
daytona600

Sunroof has a mind of its own, depends on weather!

I am convinced my VR6 has an intelligent sunroof!

It only works properly when the outside temp is above 21c

If it falls below this temp then you have to press the button approx 20 times to close or open the roof. The roof slides approx 1cm with each press.

However when the suns out and it gets above 21c it works like new?

The only thin I can think is that the runners are not paralel and when they heat up they get back in line.

Do you think I am on the right track (pun intended) or is my car fitted with some kind of intelligent computer chip AKA Knightrider 8)

If anyone has heard this problem before and knows a way to fix I would be most pleased.

have you caked them in lube to see if that helps?

sounds like something isn't happy, so i'd try that and see if it helps, and before you kill anything mechanicalwise

I'll take a look tomorrow mate..... I suspect it's just the usual worn track syndrome. Even if you manually wind it, you will notice how much stiffer it is to crank when cold compared to hot. I guess it's just that when hot, the grease is thinner and the plastic feet in the runners are warmer and easier to slide, plus the heat explands the alloy subframe slightly, relieving pressure.....

That's my theory at least ;-)

The sunroof is made by Rockwell international, so not VW's fault per se, and it's not one of Rockwell's best designs. In fact it's cr@p, too complicated and too fragile.

VW used to just replace the entire subframe at the massive cost of £500+VAT + fitting, it was a £1K job......simply because they just couldn't fix the sodding things. I've tried fixing mine 3 times now using the repair kits, but I just can't be fagged with it anymore and just open it manually.

I am convinced my VR6 has an intelligent sunroof!

It only works properly when the outside temp is above 21c

If it falls below this temp then you have to press the button approx 20 times to close or open the roof. The roof slides approx 1cm with each press.

However when the suns out and it gets above 21c it works like new?

The only thin I can think is that the runners are not paralel and when they heat up they get back in line.

Do you think I am on the right track (pun intended) or is my car fitted with some kind of intelligent computer chip AKA Knightrider 8)

If anyone has heard this problem before and knows a way to fix I would be most pleased.

Mad one!

Same thing happened to mine last Tuesday.

Took it to show my mate this evening and it worked ok.

He tried his and it had the same symptoms.

Weird?

Any revelations would be greatly appreciated if shared...