Sign in to follow this  
Tempest

ABS Blink Codes G60

Can somebody look up the following sequence of blink codes for me please :-)?

1 2 2 2

1 2 3 3

1 2 4 3

1 3 1 1

I recently noticed that with the ignition on my ABS light started blinking a code sequence at me. A quick glance at the wiring diagrams in my Bentley revealed that these are indeed the blink codes from the ABS controller.

By shorting the yellow/blue wire and the brown wire for a few seconds after each blink code (terminated by a long singular blink before the code is repeated) I read out the next code until I got 4 long blinks (4 times 0), followed by the ABS light staying permamently on (heard the relais labelled 79 - ABS relais - also click). Sorry if this has already been discussed before, but couldn't find anything using the search.

Thanks for looking up the codes (haven't got VAG-com). :-)

Tempest

Solution found, here are all the known blink codes (from a German site) for the ABS on a 1990 G60:

Codes ABS

0-0-0-0..........End of reading blink codes

1-1-1-1..........ABS control unit faulty

1-1-1-2..........ABS inlet valve front left

1-1-1-4..........ABS inlet valve front right

1-1-2-2..........ABS inlet valve rear

1-1-3-2..........ABS outlet valve front left

1-1-3-4..........ABS outlet valve front right

1-1-4-2..........ABS outlet valve rear

1-2-1-3..........No signal from the speed sensor

1-2-2-2..........ABS main valve

1-2-3-3..........Faulty ABS speed sensor front left

1-2-4-1..........Faulty ABS speed sensor front right

1-2-4-3..........Faulty ABS speed sensor rear right

1-3-1-1..........Faulty ABS speed sensor rear left

1-3-1-2..........ABS-pressure warning switch I and II

4-4-4-4..........No error!

Tempest

OK, will reset the system tomorrow and see which code is re-generated, as a visual check of all connectors, test of fuses and relais didn't reveal any faults.

A test of all 4 wheel speed sensors revealed nothing (nice 1.15 kOhm stationary, turning the wheel the resistance fluctuated from 0 Ohms to 2.2 kOhm (rear right even up to 3 kOhm), apart from the left rear sensor, which barely managed to scrape to 2 kOhm, and only once.

How do I best clean the sensors?

Tempest

I had two like this recently, both turned out to be a faulty ECU, filled with water from a leaking windscreen. Take out the left hand kick panel and remove the ECU. Un-plug the wiring connector and look at the plug and socket to see if there are any signs of corrosion. If there is, take off the main cover and the ECU will probably be full of water or signs of it having been there. I also had a faulty ECU on a Golf 2 G60 (the same ECU) and that wasn't water damage.

filled with water from a leaking windscreen

as a visual check of all connectors, test of fuses and relais didn't reveal any faults.

Already checked the main connector to the ABS ECU, and the connector still looked like new, no traces of water, just a bit of dust on the top, that's it.

Today, whilst Jim and I went to have a 4-wheel alignment on our Cs, I reset the ABS ECU (1 minute driving at 60 km/h - difficult in Coventry with all its traffic :lol:), and now have a nice 4 times 4 blinks, i.e. no fault :-)

My above fault codes probably stemmed from me faffing about with all sorts of ABS sensor connectors whilst then switching on and off the ignition, thus adding a new fault code to the ECU's memory each time.

Tempest