Sign in to follow this  
iow_corrado_g60

Shrick Oil Sump

Hi lads couldnt really find what i wanted on search basically a couple of questions really now i've got back from hols and all and G needs some attention and after i've done my supercharger,

I would like to get a new sump on as mine is awful and looks gross and 2nd the Shrick sump from dazza looks hot and does the job!

so was wondering:

can i take the sump off while engine is still in car and put new one on obviously drained of oil!

and secondly has anyone got one and do they like it and did they see a reduction in oil temps!

any help please guys

Cheers Andy

p.s does anyone know how hot the charger gets?

I assume its the same as the 16v sump, it's just a ring of bolts (10 or 8mm I think) there are 2 just sort of behind the flywheel that are really awkward to get to, but it's not too bad to do.

Oh and yes you can do it with the engine in situ. just jack the front end up.

Hi lads couldnt really find what i wanted on search basically a couple of questions really now i've got back from hols and all and G needs some attention and after i've done my supercharger,

I would like to get a new sump on as mine is awful and looks gross and 2nd the Shrick sump from dazza looks hot and does the job!

so was wondering:

can i take the sump off while engine is still in car and put new one on obviously drained of oil!

and secondly has anyone got one and do they like it and did they see a reduction in oil temps!

any help please guys

Cheers Andy

p.s does anyone know how hot the charger gets?

Don't know how the transverse vw 4 cylinder is affected, but the old audi 80 sport had a finned alloy VAG sump that was used instead of an oil cooler on the same engine as fitted in golf GTI's, so they must help a fair bit.

I've not really had time to test it really to be honest but the oil is like water after chaging the old one out as I got all the old oil out the mocal and drained and re-primed the pump...

I fitted mine in a carpark with the car up on axle stands... definately do-able! :lol:

Make sure you have a 1/4inch ratchet with a LONG extension with wiggle end and a 10mm socket to get at the 2 bolts up by the gearbox and you'll have no problems other than a sore neck from supporting the new sump on your head as you get some bolts in quick! :lol:

It's dropped my oil temp by about 5 degrees as there's now an extra litre of oil in there and the fins on the bottom of it... my G60 now takes almost 6 litres to fill from empty 'cos of the sump and oil cooler! :|

Supercharged is on about draining ALL of the oil from his car (aftermarket oil cooler and from the oil pump too!) once you'd drained the oil pump, you need to fill it manually else you'll have NO oil pressure at all for the first few seconds which is all it takes to do some serious damage to the engine, hence re-priming the pump...

If you're not removing the pump completely, then you won't need to re-prime it... ;)

henny how weird i just pm'ed you!

do you reckon removing the pump is a good idea or can i get away with leaving it there and running on the old oil then doing an oil and filter change a few hundred miles later?

henny did you get the windage tray mate?

the amount of oil that the oil pump holds is almost sod all... if it's properly empty (as it will be if you remove it) then it takes a little while for it to suck up oil as they're not very good at sucking air through them... When I did my sump, I just dropped the old oil, took the sump off, fitted the windage tray (you have to temporarily take off the pump's pickup pipe to fit it) and then bolted on the new sump, filled her up and drove her around again!

I did an oil change about 500 miles later as the sump was just one of quite a few parts I'd fitted and I wanted to be sure there was no swarf in there anywhere...

Both my windage tray and sump came from G-werks.... 8)

thats where ill be getting mine from cheers henny and jim great advice roll on august!

henny also when i put windage tray on will i quite easily be able to tell what to do with the end of the pump?

as im not very mechanically minded but think i can just aboiut tackle the sump!

sorry mate getting confused cheers chap i think ill give you a pm nearer the time thou henny about the windage tray then set to work!

and sorry steve i do apologise!

Can't be you were talking to - I know feck all about engines! :)

I know who Jim is but who is this Henry bloke? :lol:

Right, I thought I had to remove the pump in order to remove the plastic baffle and to fit the windage - apparently you can just rip the plastic thing off and the tray would fit round the pickup but I couldn't work out how at the time and the pump is only 2 bolts and you can clean the pickup mesh when it's off...

Priming it is just a case of sticking the pickup in a load of fresh oil and turning it so picks up some oil so it doesn't go in empty...

Flexible extension is a good idea to get the old one off and the Shrek sumps come with allen head bolts - halfords do some long ball ended keys which are great as they have this snap-fit thing that holts the bolt as you locate it, I used this to start all of mine off as getting the sump and windage tray holes lined up is a bit of a ball-ache...

Hope this helps but I stuck most of the info in the wiki article...

one thing that ut meoff an ally sump was what if it hit the ground would it not just shatter? my sump touches down now and again.