Sign in to follow this  
ziderapple

Clutch on its way out?

Hi, some help please, if I select 1st quickly from neutral I tend to get a crunch - not all the time, going from second is always fine, also the car is starting to occasionaly judder alittle when pulling away and if I accelerate in 1st and then coast the gearknob seems to shake. Also the clutch is creacky when depressed. Does this sound like its time for a new clutch? Have read through previous posts, which mention slave cylinders and engine mounts. Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

(make it some nice, cheap to do and fix please!)

Yeah - I'd look at the mounts first - get someone to look at the engine while you move forward and back giving it some revs...

How about a gearbox oil check or better still change it with the correct fluid and to the correct level, will probably help and i expect it's not been changed for years like mine.

Chris

I´m with Supercharged, on this one.

It seems to me more like deffo engine mounts, most probably the front one...

Keep posting! :)

Hi, thanks for the replys. Do you mean rocking the engne on its mounts? ie. in 1st gear with handbreak up and moving the clutch up and down? I hope its just that. I do get a bit of a kick through the gear stick when I apply and release the throttle, so excessive movement in mounts does sound likely. I also get a groan or deep squeak momentarily when pulling away, forgot to mention this earlier. Does that add up? A mount woudnt account for crunching into 1st gear though would it?

Thanks again.

Chris.

Hi Chris,

I would agree that it is more likely to be an engine mount issue. It will also cause problems as the gearbox cables are moving with the engine as it rocks hence the clunky gear selection. You can check for a very worn clutch by driving along in say 5th then dropping to 3rd and flooring it - if the clutch is worn it will slip and your engines revs will climb quickly without the car accelerating.

However, 'rado gearboxes are known for a slightly clunky change as you describe when the gearbox oil is cold. The best soultion for this is recommended to be replacing the gearbox oil for some fully synthetic stuff, redlines MTL 90 is the one to use.

It would be useful to know if you have an early car as these were not fitted with weights on the gearbox selector, this makes a huge difference to the feel of the gear change.

Thats not too bad then, I've got three days off next week so I'll change the gearbox oil, and replace the engine mount. Car is a 94 vr, and idea which mount it'll be?

Thanks.

mines a 94 vr and although the change is good it is notchy as described in this hot weather.

mine has allways had that groan/squeek when i pull away just as you slip the clutch to move away. apparantly the vr clutches do that from half way through their life on? Mine also judders when it gets hot. Its allways done all this though and doesnt slip, and hasnt changed in 25k hard miles!!

its done 137,000 and 6 1/4 mile runs now and its still soldiering on. might do the oil on my box as suspect its original, afterall its been serviced by vag who changed the brake fuild too, 1.5k later i drain it and its like black treacle, nice one. sorry off on another vag slag tangent!