Sign in to follow this  
Storm77

2 minute leak of petrol from under car

Just fired up the car after sitting on the drive for a week and noticed fuel was running from a black cylinder (looks like a pump with a black pipe running out of it) in front of the fuel tank and o/s wheel.

Anyway it leaked for 2 mins , then stopped. Could it be a build up of pressure from the intense heat we've had, and just ejected some on start up? Should I be driving it?

Sounds like the fuel filter. Get it checked out- never safe to be leaking fuel. Maybe one of the hose ends has perished or something. Worth getting a new one anyway as they're pretty cheap.

Mine has been dripping occasionally, mainly because the fixing clamp isn't there anymore so it just swings about on a cable tie. The pipes don't look too good either. My local garage are going to sort it with a new clamp and hot air gun to shrink the hoses snuggly onto the filter.

Ah yeah, fuel filter sounds about right. It's not leaking at all now though. Must have been a pressure build up with the recent weather. Need to drive it tonight though :?

I'm not sure you should ever get fuel leaking from a fuel filter regardless of the weather conditions- If it was my car I would get the the connections renewed (assuming thats the problem)

I'm not even sure how any pressure could even build up TBH- the tanks vented so unless there is a one way valve in there somewhere? but even then would it pressure to more than the 4bar pump operating pressure?

Very strange - just gave it a good half hour blat - no leaks coming from that area now. Fook knows. :?:

pressure build up?!

I doubt the weather would have any bearing on a fuel pump capable or putting out 3-4 bar. If its leaked it will leak again, get it check out pronto.