Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Water spray

Anyone tried water spray on their Intercoolers?

It's dead easy to setup, you just use the rear wash/wipe switch (if you've junked the rear wiper) to activate the OE pump and a pair of STI spray jets mounted in front of the IC. Would take all of 10 minutes to implement.

If you want to know how effective evaporative cooling is, blast a desk fan on your chest, turn it off, spray yourself with water and try again....MUCH colder!!

It's not going to knock 500 seconds off your 1/4 mile time or anything, but it's great for reducing IC temps when crawling along in this kind of weather.

STI spray jets are £9 btw and a standard OE screen wash motor is more than enough to replicate the STI system. If it's good enough for a rally car, then it's good enough for mine :-)

Yeah I was told off for having a sig with wheels I no longer own :-)

August 17th/18th is IC, Water Spray, Water injection, Schimmel, 12psi day 8)

yup, got that wired up on J-DUB just before she was written off... :(

Dropped the inlet temps quite a bit to be honest...

I'm going to plumb in my water injection kit to H-YYU at some point soon, with the second injector plumbed in as a mister onto the intercooler...

Only thing is, DON'T use methanol if you're spraying onto an Aluminium intercooler.... ;)

Oh, and have a word with Gibber... he had a CO2 spray onto his intercooler.... Looked a bit interesting styling wise, but worked well... ;) may be worth looking into for ultimate cooling... ;)

been thinking about doing this when i put my g60 intercooler on (bought from local breakers for £15) before going to stealth for the stage2 remap.

Does methanol eat aluminium then Henny?

The only thing I've heard is not to spray methanol onto ICs because it's flammable! Nothing to do with alloy itself....

Anyone tried water spray on their Intercoolers?

It's dead easy to setup, you just use the rear wash/wipe switch (if you've junked the rear wiper) to activate the OE pump and a pair of STI spray jets mounted in front of the IC. Would take all of 10 minutes to implement.

If you want to know how effective evaporative cooling is, blast a desk fan on your chest, turn it off, spray yourself with water and try again....MUCH colder!!

It's not going to knock 500 seconds off your 1/4 mile time or anything, but it's great for reducing IC temps when crawling along in this kind of weather.

STI spray jets are £9 btw and a standard OE screen wash motor is more than enough to replicate the STI system. If it's good enough for a rally car, then it's good enough for mine

Top idea mate will have to have a look at doing that to mine when i uprate the ic on mine - cheers for the shout :salute:

Part number for sti jets?

Would i benifit having them on such a big intercooler anyway?

You can buy adjustable boost pressure switches from ebay for about £12 so the sprayer would come on wat whatever boost you set it to

I remember someone telling me NOT to spray methanol into my ali pipes or directly into the intercooler as it will "rot" the aluminium...

The flammable aspect is a very good point though... spraying methanol onto the front of a car while the engine's running/hot is almost certainly not a clever thing to do! :lol: :onfire:

*edit* ah, found a safety data sheet on Methanol, and yup, it corrodes Aluminum and zinc.... :?

OK, I'll just stick plain water in the tank then :-) to be honest, I've not found methanol to be especially effective anyway, so it won't be missed 8)

see data sheet above... ;)

Plain old H2O sounds like a good plan to me too! :lol:

May possibly put in a second tank on the windscreen washer pipe to suck in some cleaning fluid when I'm washing the screen though.... should be easy enough to plumb in... ;) 8)

I have a washer bottle from a bigbumper mk2 golf that had headlight washers.

It has 2 pumps, i was guna use the other pump for water injection

flusted, a washer pump won't be high enough pressure for water injection matey... it'd work well for spraying onto your intercooler, but spraying into the engine you're likely to get too much water in there any hydraulic the engine doing UBER damage... :| There's a good reason that water injection pumps are £100+ and washer pumpe are £10... ;)

Cheers Henmeister.....

So plain old water it is then. TBH...(again)..I find screen wash additives are harsh and prematurely kill the wiper blades off aswell, so it really has to be good old water all the way, LOL! :-) Just keeps things simple.....

You should see the size of the tank in my mate's bug eye STI and it's just for the water spray, LOL! It's boot mounted aswell, so sod that for a laugh. I reckon a 7 litre bottle from the headlight washer cars should suffice?

Ok so ive started to persue this.

just bought a replacement spray nozzle from my local hurst (dont think you have them on mainland)

Its for those weed killer sprayers that you pump up the pressure,then spray.

Cost me £3.60 and made by hozelock.

I quickly plumbed up to washer motor to give it a wirl and its perfect!

Its also adjustable!!!!

Just need to buy another 3 to make sure i get good coverage!

Guna get my mate to fab up a frame to go round the outside of intercooler with mounts for the jets on each corner.

I've been thinking of doing this but where I have the intercooler in the main central air duct in the RS4 bumper I was thinking of mounting 2 or 4 jets in the actual plastic of the bumper infront of the intercooler and running the pipework inside the bumper.

Should look and work well. However I haven't figured out where to mount the switch to activate it as still have my rear washer and don't really fancy trying to accelerate, hold the steering wheel, change gear and press the rear wash stalk at the same time.

I'm more wondering if I could activate it somehow when boost is being registered. Perhaps piggybacking on the controller that activates my aquamist system when the boost is registered! Or at least a similar device!

You can buy adjustable boost pressure switches from ebay.com for about $26

You just cut a vacuum pipe,and these fit inline.

Guna get 1 and set to about 7psi i reckon

lol Just got a pressure switch from ebay,just need to make the frame for nozzles now.

Thinking of using a fuel lift pump as they will kick out some serious pressure giving me a major mist