Sign in to follow this  
corradog60

g60 temp gauge

the temp gauge never seems to move on my c if i changed the blue sensor in the housing on the front of the block would that solve it.

also ive read on the forum people talking about knock sensor cables mine is showing the siver cable were the caseing is perrished away. if im correct is it a single thick black wire bolted to the block with a 13mm bolt

The blue coolant temp sensor is for the ECU, the black sensor in front of the blue sensor is for the gauge.

Skye

Yup, as Skye says, the blue one is ECU, the black one does the gauge... The cable/sensor that you describe sounds very much like the knock sensor if it bolts onto the front of the block just to the left (from the front!) of the oil filter head.

Time to replace it I feel... I'm just doing mine as the engine gets rebuilt so I don't know any tips to help yet... :roll: :lol:

Make sure you torque the knock sensor bolt down to the correct value as it is crucial for its proper operation. It is in essence just a microphone.

Skye

cheers for the help guy. what does that knock cable do anyway coz my engine makes a strange rattle at 2500rpm a did post a mess in the prob section a while ago if any want to rwad it and give me any ideas under engine rattle at 2500rpm

cheers for the help guy. what does that knock cable do anyway coz my engine makes a strange rattle at 2500rpm a did post a mess in the prob section a while ago if any want to rwad it and give me any ideas under engine rattle at 2500rpm

Metallic rattles at around 2500rpm tends to be a heat shield rattling on the exhaust on a G60 'rado...

I've got the mother of all jubilee clips around my downpipe's heatshield 'cos the rattle finally got so far on my nerves that I was gonna rip the shield off until I realised I could get a large jubilee clip around it and stop the rattle once and for all! :roll: :lol:

There's another post about this somewhere that someone mentions a possible dead catalytic convertor causing this if you've also got a loss of power... I dunno about that, 'cos I've not got a cat, but check your heatshields... 8)

Yep a dying cat makes a noticable rattle at low revs & idle. As it get worse the remanents of your cat make a really nice ball shape that eventually shoots straight up your exhaust and blocks it. Try the jubilee clip trick first. If that dont cure it start worrying. :)

Regards

Jim

also since ive had the car i dont think much of it performance wise my girls got a 1.6 focus an that feels more nippy than the g60 could that rattle b the timming a tooth out coz also when i go from 3rd to 2nd the exhaust pops like backfireing an also the cam belt dont look that old also the charger looks very old no bill to say when it was done it done 135 full vag s/h