Sign in to follow this  
richn

Ride heights - what's going on?

Used to have a 1.8 16V (89G) six years ago, have just bought a 2.0 16V (95M), both apparently had standard suspension, both with 15" wheels, but the 2.0 looks like it's on stilts compared with the 1.8. Sits a good 20-30mm higher!

Started looking at other Corrados since, including VR6's, and newer ones all seem to ride much higher than the older ones. What's going on? Did VW change the springs / mounts some time in the early nineties?

I know that there are different set-ups between the G60 & VR6 as dtandard, the G60 being about 10-15mm lower.

Maybe there were complaints of chin spoiler fouling in the early years of the car's production? Getting it onto MOT ramps, hitting kerb stones etc etc

Kev

Spring mounts changed in 93 - post 93VR's have more tightly coiled springs compared to earlier VR's which had slightly shorter and fatter springs.

Spring mounts changed in 93 - post 93VR's have more tightly coiled springs compared to earlier VR's which had slightly shorter and fatter springs.

Indeed and if you plan on fitting H&R springs then you will also need the later spring cups as H&R only do VR6 springs for that fitment.

Kev

Guess the same happened to the 16vs as well. Maybe when my dampers are shot (must be soon because they've done 80k) I'll get it returned to the 'early' ride height. Seem to remember the handling being a bit more reactive with a bit less body roll.