Sign in to follow this  
matthewb1985

heat wrap

my exhaust rests on my axle and rattles. i am going to wrap the axle with some sort of padded heat wrap, but can only find it in 5 metres or longer rolls.

where can i get a smaller piece?

cheers

would it not be a more sensible idea to find the issue causing it to sit on the axle and solve that as that is clearly the main issue!!!

i have had the exhaust messed with a few times but it happens again and again, thought that as a cheap fix wrapping the axle would take the vibration, hence stop the rattle.

matthewb1985, I need to do the same. Just haven't been able to find something suitable to wrap the axle or find cable ties long enough!

I've got a 63mm straight through pipe on my car with no probs,best thing ive done is to get some poly rubber mounts to keep movement to its minimum but the best results was to put a spot weld on each joint of the exhaust to stop any further movement as the clamps don't hold as well as you think.

Hope that helps and Fle-bay is the best place for wrap and use your local car factors for long cable ties.

If you put 'exhaust wrap' or 'heat wrap' into ebay you will get a few hits, iirc its about 50 quid for 50foot though one of the sites gives you an exact amount you need per foot of manifold, so obviously those running a single cylinder Corrado will benefit most from this!