Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

smokey exhaust

I'm getting rather alot of smoke coming from my exhaust recently. It has a new exhaust 4 weeks ago and has only done 200 miles since. Is it possible for a new exhaust to cause smoking? I ask because once i turn the engine off if i leave it 3/4 mins there is still a small about of smoke billowing from the backbox, as if its the heat inside the exhaust that is causing it?

Or is the engine on its way out? It shouldnt be as its done 118k with full and thorough service history.

Some systems, especially stainless, have a lot of oil used inside them to help with the cold forming process and this takes a long time to burn off.

is it a vr6 and is it smoking all the time, under load at high revs or on the over run? latter would just be the valve guides. Not sure on the exhaust though?

Its a 1.8 16V with a standard exhaust, although i couldnt tell you if the cat has been removed as the exhaust was replaced shortly before i purchased the car. The smoke is white and is at its worst when on tick over, in traffic etc.

White smoke from your exhaust is usually steam, normally it's caused by condensation in the exhaust when the weather's cold, and only there for the first few miles.

If it's there all the time there's a fair chance your head gasket is leaking, have a look for sludge on the oil filler cap or dipstick and keep an eye on your coolant levels.

Head gasket, excellent. Well its booked in the garage next week for a general tidy up, service, cambelt change, slight oil leak needs looking at, irrative revs on idle, tracking, and the hand brake needs tightening. So hopefully once all that is sorted i'll have a better idea of the condition of the engine. If its still bad news i might take the bull by the horns and get the engine rebuilt over the winter.