Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

Water / methanol injection (G60)

Hello Folks,

I've nearly fitted the above to my G60 and was wondering what the best mix would be. I was thinking along the lines of 2 parts water & 1 part methanol.

Any ideas cheers for any advice in advance.

50/50 is a bit too much imo. That much meth' reduces the water's ability to absorb heat. I use plain water with no meth and it works just aswell.

hmmm, i remember hearing somewhere that water on its own is the best mixture... :) cant remember where i read it tho... gunna give water only a go when i next runout and see if this works as well as my current mixture

Go with what works mate, that's just what I found on the VR.

It's all a complicated thermal dynamics thingy me jig! From what I've read up on it, the water enters the cylinders, soaks up loads of heat and effectively turns to steam and blasts out of the exhaust (you should see how clean piston crowns are on a water injected engine, can't beat steam cleaning :-) ) but in doing so, some of the atomised fuel gets sucked up and out with it, so you can use a small amount of methanol to restore the 'flame front' and keep the burn uniform, but I'd say no more than 20% tbh.

The water injection forum on Aquamist's site is a useful site for techniques and know how. Some guys use 10% nitromethane (Very, very flammable, take care!), which gives a nice kick apparently. You can get that from hobby shops for approx £7 a gallon :-)

nitromethane is that safe to use in the pumps. as the aquamist pumps can be a bit fussy with what goes thro them. you should only use methonal alcohol. also available from modelshops. about a fiver a gallon.

I got it up and running on Sunday using racing methanol at the moment 1 part methanol 4 parts water. Wit a difference it makes well impressed.

Cheers for the advice

completely off topic, do you live in cornwall and have you got the same wheels as me?

My boss was on hols in cornwall and was following a rado that looked just like yours

nitromethane is that safe to use in the pumps. as the aquamist pumps can be a bit fussy with what goes thro them. you should only use methonal alcohol. also available from modelshops. about a fiver a gallon.

If it's a race spec pump (and they all are now) then the only thing they don't like is running dry afaik. I'm sure running Nitro will invalidate the warranty though, so it's a "do at your own risk" experiment :-)

completely off topic, do you live in cornwall and have you got the same wheels as me?

My boss was on hols in cornwall and was following a rado that looked just like yours

Ah stay in a Scotland near Stirling

Cheers

whats you engine spec too sandy nice power!

Here's ma engine spec

AMD CHIP & PULLEY PLUS STAGE 4 CONVERSION ON THE SUPERCHARGER

VIBRATECH FRONT ENGINE MOUNT

SWG TWIN G60 INLET (not been on the rolling road since this was fitted)

K&N PANEL FILTER

SUPER SPRINT CAT BYPASS PIPE

JETEX STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST

WATER & METHONAL INJECTION (not been on the rolling road since this was fitted)

BIG VALVE HEAD

SUPER SPRINT MANIFOLD 4 TO 1

SCHRICK CAM

PORTED & POLISHED THROTTLE BODY (not been on the rolling road since this was fitted)

ADJUSTABLE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR (FUEL PRESSURE * 2)

cheers

it really is quite amazing how much difference it makes isnt it, especially during the summer months!

are you running a single stage kit or a duel?

Duel stage, I've got it setup to run of the throttle position 3 1/4 throttle for the wee jet & full throttle for the wee jet & the big jet.

I've been running mine for a while now and your right about the difference it makes.

I started off running mine at 50/50 during the winter because that was what felt the best but now its warm i've started putting less methanol in and it seems to pull slightly stronger like that.