Sign in to follow this  
purple-rado

Which would be best 10/40 or 15/40 oil for 16v on 126k miles

hi guys,

Just wondered what would be the best type of oil to use with regards to viscocity. I have heard that 10/40 would be good and also 15/40 semi synthetic. My 16 valver has 126k mile so taking this into account what would be the best out of these two types.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanx guys.

To be honest you could put a good quality thin oil in, but avoid the likes of Magnatec for performance cars - its really thin. I replaced all the gaskets and used this stuff, and it still leaked from here and there. Now I use good old Castrol GTX and engine is dry as a bone.

Mines the same engine with the same miles.

Ive got the same miles on an untouched 16v and I use Synta (silver) in mine!

The fully synthetic synta gold is a little thin for mine as it tends to leak a little when its in.

I also change it twice as often (6000 miles) with it being cheaper.

Never uses a drop now :D

i use synta gold in a 150k orig engine...no probs,your just gona have to try something and see if you like it...the thicker ones may run a little quieter ...thinner ones may leak or burn more

the synta range sems to be dependable...try one and see how it goes

The first number eg '15' denotes how thick the oil is when cold and the second '40' when hot, so an oil is only as thick as these figures. Roughly speaking, the greater the distance between these two figures, the broader the range of driving that can be done, hence new porsches using 0w 50 e.t.c. But for an engine of this nature/age i'd say a 15w 40 or 50 part-synthetic would be the kindest...

Whatever oil you are using, get the engine thoroughly warmed up when you run it if you are doing so few start-ups. Condensation in the exhaust system needs to be dispersed, and any excess fuel from initial enrichment should be boiled off from the oil. The brakes need to be put through their paces a few times as well to keep everything free from corrosion and sticking. Obviously the oil should be changed on the basis of time rather than miles driven if you are using the car so little.

Come to think of it, how do you restrict yourself to so few miles? Every time I drive mine, I look for any excuse for a long diversion.

Apologies if some of this is slightly off the subject - funny how the mind wanders..........

Best wishes

RB

Hi Roger

Im not driving the Corrado from October to around April time, except for the odd drives to keep things ticking over.

I just want to keep it as good as possible and put up no more than 5000 miles per year on it.

Back to the little diesel Saxo now haha.