Sign in to follow this  
lj16v

VR6 not starting when hot... help!

My VR6 is having a problem starting when it is hot.

This happens when the car is hot and also the whether.

This is what happened yesterday; drove for 30mins up the M3 into London (was going pretty quick, late!) then through London in slow traffic for approx 30mins, parked the car had meeting which was about 15/20mins, came out went to start; turned ignition, lights on dash came on but absolutely nothing else (no noises at all from engine). So i left it for approx 10/15 mins to cool then it did start on the second or third turn of the key and was fine all the way home to Dorset.

This has now happened to me a few times.

The previous owner had told me that they had the problem and to resolve it, had the starter motor and bush renewed by their VAG garage (at the end of May 01)

This seemed to apprently solve it, but now it is back!

Have just checked a few threads on here which seem to point mainly towards the ignition switch but also possibly starter solonid, starter motor, coil pack, lambda sensor.

Any ideas? What should i check first?

cheers LJ.

Welcome to the 'hot VR club'. Seems a few have this problem, mine included. If I think I am going to have problems starting on a hot day I park on a slope and use the rolling car to nudge the engine while turning the key. Works every time suggesting the solenoid is stuck inside the starter motor. A new battery seemed to help as it gave more of a kick to the solenoid. Coil pack, Lambda forget as the engine isn't even rotating. Ingition switch is a good one to change if old, and cheap to do. Good luck!

Had this problem too. Fixed by following the small black cable from the ignition to the underside of the dash just above your right knee. It plugs into something to do with the imob. WD40 the contacts and plug it back in.

I still have the other hot start problem - caused by fuel vaporisation i think. I'm sure the fuel pump and / or water pump arnt running on after i switch off. But the engine always turns over so not same as your issue.

Fan yes, not all the time tho, and not sure about fuel pump. Fan only ever seems to run on 1 speed though. I am going to change the rad thermostat soon.

I 'll start a new thread about it though.

I had this problem and it turned out to be a knackered fuel pump with no over run. It worked about about 10 minutes when the car had cooled down. Now it works hot or cold, wont mention all the other unrelated problems with it though :(

lj16v.....Just confirm the engine isn't turning over when you turn the key. A few red herrings starting to appear :wink:

Cheers guys,

Took it to my garage, pretty sure that it is the starter motor (or maybe ignition switch).

So it is having a new starter motor tomorrow which should solve the prob'. I'm driving down to the south of France on Sat where it is going to be f-ing hot so i hope this works.....

lj.

Well, all is now well!

Drove all the way to Cannes, to see my little bro' who lives there, and had no probs' at all.

The new starter motor actually makes starting much crisper/ sounds like less of an effort.

The new starter and fitting at my local garrage only cost about £150, not bad for the peice of mind!

Thanks, the little holliday was good, cruised around in my bro's new Range Rover Sprort Supercharged, what an awsome sound!!!!!!!!!!! and pretty fast!

Taking another trip on Sunday, to Edinburgh so may see you around ReekieVR..... i'm a grey L reg VR (pretty standard).

lj.

yeah all fine now, just got back from scotland, had a really good time, nice driving on empty roads!

Got to get back to work now to pay for it!!!

Oh only slight problem with the car is the rear spoiler which just stopped working and is stuck in the slightly raised position, just about to do a search, hopefully it will be something simple i can sort, if it's not one thing....