Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Whats this?

I need to know what it is, what it does, how i can remove it, and how do i put it back on again? :lol: My cars a 1991 G60.

Cheers,

Nick

DSC01521.jpg

Not sure about the G60, but there is usually a clamp around the base of a distributor (i.e. where it enters the block). Before you take it off though, suggest you mark the dizzy against the block with tip ex (or score with a screwdriver) so you can put it back on in the same place so the timing is roughly correct (if you turn the dizzy once you loosen the clamp this will adjust the timing, suggest you only do this with a timing gun) and the car will therefore run once you have refitted everything.

yes thats the dizzy. you need a 13mm or 11mm spanner on the clamp. if the clamp is removed but it still wont come out.- common. turn engine over. this should release it. dont wack it ,hammer it or shunt it. cos you'll distroy the hall sender. rendering it useless. good luck

yes thats the dizzy. you need a 13mm or 11mm spanner on the clamp. if the clamp is removed but it still wont come out.- common. turn engine over. this should release it. dont wack it ,hammer it or shunt it. cos you'll distroy the hall sender. rendering it useless. good luck

This may be slightly difficult, as the engine is about 6ft from the car...

Will a garage be able to sort the timing out easy enough? Or is something i could do with 'timing gun'?

This may be slightly difficult, as the engine is about 6ft from the car...

:lol:

There tends to be quite a lot of sticktion (And yes that is a real engineering term) between the drive gear on the bottom of the dizzy and the input shaft on the other end of the block.

I would get try to tap around the base of the dizzy with a hammer and a flat blade screw driver to loosen it up a bit.

You could also try leavering between the bottom of the dizzy and the block with the aforementioned screwdriver.

As for timing, make sure the cam belt end lines up according to the book as well or it will make a bit of a mess...

Mark the position of the rotor as well, noting where the timing marks are on the crank pulley. Helps a lot when assembling it all back together ref the firing order of the HT leads. Just my experiance.......... :D

Yer, my first incounter with a golf one of them was jammed solid.. I tapped it around with a scredriver and hammer, it took ages to come free though, but it will... dont give up !!

Yer, my first incounter with a golf one of them was jammed solid.. I tapped it around with a scredriver and hammer, it took ages to come free though, but it will... dont give up !!

just not too hard. hall sender. .i;ve broken them easily. and thay ant cheap.