Sign in to follow this  
Phil K

MFA temp reading fluctuating

Bit of an odd one this...

I normally use the MFA for the oil temp reading but recently it's been acting up! It will read from cold up to 70 and will then start showing random numbers like 54,62,50,80,72 etc if you flick away from this and go back to it it will have jumped to where (I guess) it should be like 90 and other times it just reads ---

Any ideas? I'm guessing it's going to be a faulty sensor but wouldn't have a clue where it's located or if there could be wiring problems between that and the MFA?

All help appreciated :D

I had this when the earth strap to the head was loose after re-fitting the engine, could just be a dodgy earth.

Bit of an odd one this...

I normally use the MFA for the oil temp reading but recently it's been acting up! It will read from cold up to 70 and will then start showing random numbers like 54,62,50,80,72 etc if you flick away from this and go back to it it will have jumped to where (I guess) it should be like 90 and other times it just reads ---

Any ideas? I'm guessing it's going to be a faulty sensor but wouldn't have a clue where it's located or if there could be wiring problems between that and the MFA?

All help appreciated :D

the sender is on the back of the 16v head, to the right as you look at the front of the car, the connector is a female spade that slides over the top of the sender. I suppose this connection could be sh!tty tooo.......

I asume it's the same on both the 1.8 and 2.0 engines?

Will have to have a nose around tonight and have a look for lose wires/bad conections...

Can the sensor fail and be replaced? (just in case there isn't anything obvious)

I asume it's the same on both the 1.8 and 2.0 engines?

Will have to have a nose around tonight and have a look for lose wires/bad conections...

Can the sensor fail and be replaced? (just in case there isn't anything obvious)

the oil temp sensor may be on the oil filter housing, my 2L block has one on there, but as I have a 1.8 head there's also one on there, no difference in temp reading though. It's the smaller of the 3 if you have the 2 pressure sensors on the filter housing. It's just a screw in 13mm hex with a small soft washer I think.