Sign in to follow this  
Andy_VR6

Advice/Help Please on insurance

Hello there,

I currantly have a Honda Civic Type R EP3 and I'm having some fairly large bad luck.

In June a young lady (20 I think) decided to reverse her Mini Convertable into me at a junction causing over £800 damage to my car.

She told me she would give me the money for the cash and that she didn't want to go through the Insurance of which she told me she was with Kwik Fit. I thought "OK you're young and want to protect your no claims, I can understand that." So I agreed after taking her details that I would get some quote and she could give me the money for it.

I still reported it to my Insurance as soon as I could.

She messed me around for a week untill she finaly told me that her insurance company would be contacting me! And they did blaming me for the damage on her Mini. However it wasn't Kwik Fit Insurance, it was another. Also it wasn't in her name! (Even though she has a Private Plate with her name on it!)

I informed my Ins Company and they've been dealing with it. But I'm losing faith and it looks increasingly likely that I'll lose my No Claims and therefore not afford to insure my CTR. Which of course means I'll have to sell it.

NOW, my question is...

What is the Corrado VR6 like to insure?

I'm 22 with a clean licence and live in Hertfordshire.

Also Non Insurance Related...

What is the reliability like?

What are the running costs like?

Thank you for any help.

I'm 26 mate with 4 years no claim discount.... VR6 with a cat1 alarm ad tracker...

My insurance is still around £7-800!!! And thats located in B'ham..

So from my experience.... Not cheap!!!!

I was just under 24 when I got mine. Fully comp with 5 years NCB living in AL5 it was just over £500.

And that was just with an immobiliser parked on a driveway.

As for the car - i'm sure you'll here all sorts of different opinions on here but on the whole and speaking from experience, very reliable. Just make sure you get one thats been well looked after - there are some nails out there, and there are also some absolute beauts, it's worth waiting for the right one. Look in the cars for sale and you'll see for yourself - there's even a very tidy storm in there for £4.5k!!!

Running costs again, depend on what you get. One with knackered chains, bushes etc will cost a fair whack to put right, unless you're handy with the tools and have time on your hands.

But if you do get one, you won't regret it!!!

Where in Herts are you fella??

Ware, near Hertford. I've seen a few Corrados about, including a red one at the top of my GFs road. I think it's a 1.8 16v.

I probably wouldn't mind paying between £500 - £1000 on insurance. Just the problem with the no claims situation seeing as I'm younger and won't have any if things go badly. I'll have to get some quotes.

I'll have a look at the Cars for Sale section too. I trust they are all well looked after to get in there? :wink:

Does the Forum have a Insurance Company to recommend? (The Civictype-r.co.uk forum recommends Greenlight Insurance as we get a discount which has built over the years)

CTR is in Ins Grp 17...I think the VR6 is 18? But is cheaper to buy.

My theory is because it's an older car and has a lesser value it would be more managable to insure?

Although I could be wrong!

I'd like something which is close to the performance of my CTR. If the VR6 is not possible, is there a quick Corrado which would suit my needs better?

Who knows how insurance companies work, they are a mystery to me!

The only thing you could do is get some quotes and see. I would think with no NC you are going to find it very expensive to insure a VR at 22 Yrs old!!

I know it could be expensive, but I like my cars and performance so I'm willing to pay for it (unless it's silly money!).

If the VR6 is not possible, is there a quick Corrado which would suit my needs better?

Tweaked G60's can outgun standard VR's mate, but again- No ncb. Relatively young... insurance could hurt!

I was with Elephant for the first year on my CTR. I'll try them again but they tried taking money out of my account after I'd told them on the phone and sent a letter canceling my policy with them. My renewel quote from them was easily beaten by Greenlight. So I'll try a few companies.

Are Bell any good?

Aren't the G60s quite unreliable? Also because they've a supercharger more to insure than a VR6?

Which Ins Grp are they?

Wouldn't go so far to say they are unreliable, just gotta take care of them but think the vr6 is much the same after all they are both 10+ years old.

IIRC G60 is group 17 and vr6 is group 18

I'm 22 with 1 year ncb and my G60 is £800 fully comp

im 21 with 2 years no claims g60 with mods declared £780 fc

love my g60 thou and wouldnt change it for the world to date the best car ive driven also scares some lot bigger cars love it!

also they look beautiful!

sod that? dont you have any witnesses to the crash?

when i had my first one i flagged down a couple of cars and got phone numbers and asked if they saw what happened... obviosuly the second one was bigger and the road was closed so i had lots of witnesses anyway.

dont let her win though. stick to your guns and take her to court if needs be.

Try brentacre or Adrian Flux.

I don't really understand why you are having a problem with your insurance though. If she reversed into you then it is her fault which means you shouldn't lose your no claims.

Oh and next time you take out insurance, pay the extra £50 and protect your no claims bonus, then you won't have to go through this hassle again.

just_say_meth and iow_corrado_g60 which insurance company are you with?

As for letting her win, I don't plan on making it easy although I'm not too sure what I can do. She's lied to her insurance and told them I drove into her.

I tried getting a CCTV tape but that hasn't been successfull and there aren't any witnesses as the person behind me just drove around me and then off and the Police aren't interested either telling me 'Let your insurance company sort it out!'

My insurance company have said as there aren't any witnesses they won't go to court, and didn't offer a no claims protection.

Andy_VR6, i'm with directline seem to be the only company that give me sensible quotes! :thumbleft:

Are all your mods declared aswell? Seems like a good price then.

I'll deffinately try them then.

I've not declared anything yet but will probably get round to it soon! :oops:

But give them i try cause everyone else i tried were giving me quotes around £1200-1500.