Sign in to follow this  
gsbellew

GSBellews 1.8 16v, one of them anyway.

After some 450 miles of driving a plane taxi and ferry journey over a total travel time of 22 hours, my new Corrado is finally parked up in its new home.

Its a 1991 1.8 16v with 164k on the clock, mainly standard with the exception of a K-star unit, TSR uprated loom and vibra-technics engine mount, it runs and handles very well pulling nicely through the rev range.

So far I have just had time to give it a wash, compound polish and waxing and stick it up on a ramp to investigate the leak in the power steering system, which I will hopefully have sorted tomorrow.

One of the rubbing strips (passenger side door) is off at the moment, I have it here but am undecided as to refitting it or removing all of them for a smoother look, any opinions appreciated.

I also cant decide on the black or silver VW badge on the rear, although I am leaning towards the silver.

Untitled-1copy.jpg

DSCF0063.jpg

DSCF0074.jpg

DSCF0073.jpg

DSCF0072.jpg

DSCF0071.jpg

DSCF0077.jpg

DSCF0061.jpg

DSCF0060.jpg

DSCF0066.jpg

DSCF0067.jpg

DSCF0069.jpg

DSCF0065.jpg

Thanks Richard, I'll have to take it up to you to let you have a look at it sometime.

I'm thinking now that it might look better with different tail lights, time to go google pictures for ideas :lol:

nice car Gearoid best of luck with it

I'm thinking now that it might look better with different tail lights,

how about blacking out the tail lights???

After some 450 miles of driving a plane taxi and ferry journey over a total travel time of 22 hours, my new Corrado is finally parked up in its new home.

Know how you feel. I just did a similar journey in January to buy my Corrado.

Good luck with it.

Thanks for the comments,

Picked up the parts I needed to fix the power steering this morning, some metal PAS pipes off a Passat, I had to modify them slightly to fit but its all working now with no leaks, and seeing as I got the pipes for free from my local friendly scrappy I can hardly complain :lol:

I also took the rubbing strips off the sides tonight (I kept them so I can refit them at a later stage if I want) Sorted out the sunroof aswell, it was a bit sticky sliding but is 100% now.

I need to get stuck into the interior (seats could do with cleaning vynil on the door cards needs to be worked on too), then the engine bay could do with a good cleaning and one of the sets of sebrings could do with being refurbished (unless I change to something else)

Plans at the moment include a new (subtle) exhaust as its own is tired in places underneath and a suspension rework.

As it is now minus the rubbing strips:

DSCF0078.jpg

DSCF0079.jpg

Didn't get much done today, got the car swapped over to Irish plates, cost me over a grand to register it and the wifes Ibiza :( Still, I think the irish plates look nicer :-P

DSCF0058.jpg

DSCF0059.jpg

The cosmetic makeover begins.

I took over the spray booth in work the other day to sort out a few of the bad spots and remove some of the blemishes on my Corrado, I still have some sections I am not 100% happy with, but its getting there.

DSCF0066-1.jpg

DSCF0065-1.jpg

Looking good mate, I love silver rados.

I'm suprised at how expensive it was to regester it though! :shock:

Looking good mate, I love silver rados.

I'm suprised at how expensive it was to regester it though! :shock:

Cheers, its a pain paying the government money for nothing, but worth it in the end to get back behind the wheel of a Corrado 8)

Gearoid its looks very veyr good!

Best of luck with it!

Thanks Richard, PS thanks for all the help and encoragement with this one, this is one time I am glad I listened to your bad influence on me :lol:

Ok, looking for opinions on some tail light options, or any other suggestions, here are a few photoshops along with the original:

DSCF0066-1.jpg

tintedtaillights.jpg

tintedtaillights2.jpg

How is that thing off the line in acceleration? Never drove a 16V corrado before.

Not the quickest anyway, 0 - 60 is 9.1 seconds according to vag :(

Still, its alright for my daily driver :lol:

Its taken a while, been busy, but here is a progress update:

New exhaust fitted today, full stainless powerflow system,I had planned on de-catting it while i was at it, but there was no cat there to de cat :blink:

Went for a nice subtle oval tailpipe design so it looks nice and discreet ;)

STP60155.jpg

STP60154.jpg

STP60156.jpg

The next job will be a suspension re-work, then I'm more or less sorted for the minute, although new wheels may be on the list as I'm not so sure about the originals anymore :unsure:

Its been a while since I posted anything, so I thought an update was in order.

Besides routine maintenance not much has happened as I've been busy doing all the overtime I can to save up some money for spending on the C and when I've not been busy in work I've been out stripping the spares Corrado :rolleyes:

Here's how its looking tonight:

STP60356.jpg

STP60355.jpg

STP60357.jpg

STP60354.jpg

STP60353.jpg

STP60350.jpg

STP60352.jpg

STP60351.jpg

I'm just waiting on my new suspension setup now, then its NCT time followed by a few other bits and pieces to keep me busy before next years shows ;)

Hi mate do you mind me asking how much and where you got the exhaust?

Nice looking C BTW :)

Hi mate, It was Stg £350 from JON Exhausts in Newry, great job and the lads there are very helpfull, I have their phone number here somewhere if you want it?