Sign in to follow this  
Banzai Bob

Cupra R brakes

I've just sourced the entire brembo brake setup from a Leon Cupra R for my VR6. Yipee! I've now got the chicken and egg problem of rim selection; I need to fit the brakes (too big for my current/original 15" alloys) and then see what'll fit!? Does anyone else have these brakes and if so what 17" alloys fit for sure?

:roll:

i am pretty sure they will fit under BBS rx's. the disks on the leon i think are 312mm. I have the Ibiza 305mm disk and brembo setup and there is still quite a bit of room from the inside of the rim to the calip[er. Mind you with RX's you will need tospace out the front whell slightly which then might mean that you might have to get the front arches modified slightly.

Not so much the chicken and egg, but more like the chicken to egg to frying pan to stomach to ("sh*t that was underdone") to fingers down throat to WC.

A few more things to consider m8

you will need to offset them like the 312mm brake thread

they will fit behind most 17's

The Leon Brembos are a lot bigger than the Ibiza's 305mm Brembo setup.

You need to find the clearance measurement from hub face to inner spoke edge. On my APs I need minimum of 47mm clearance, you will need similar. I'm afraid it's going to be a case of ringing round different wheel producers and asking what the clearance is like.....or look on the forums but wheels I know will fit are :- Oettinger REs (as per my sig), Team Dymanics Pro Race 1.2, Compomotive MO, KN Raceline, and a few others...

But this is assuming you don't want spacers. If you're prepared to space the wheels out, then you can use pretty much what you like, providing you get the required bolts and do the necessary with the arches....

The Leon Brembos are a lot bigger than the Ibiza's 305mm Brembo setup.

I know that part, however if you look at my Cup3 wheels then I have a enough room between the spokes on my wheels and the calipers (admittedly they are 305mm Ibiza Brembo's) to get my hand in between. I'm using porsche fitment and stud pattern 17" Cup3's with 25mm Hub adapters. So really I would sya on that style and fitment you would have more than enough room to fit Cupra R brakes!

Went with 17" Compomotive MOs which just fit over the Brembo 4 pot calipers! Still needed 5mm spacers and the Konis as Stiff as you like! Very please with the outcome (see pics in my album).

Congrats mate, your car looks cracking,

I recently had the dilemma of finding wheels to clear the brembos too.

Im not surprised you still needed 5mm spacers with the MO's.

Where did you buy the 17's out of curiosity?

Got them through Demon Tweeks - they're 17 x 8s (£194.82+vat each! :shock: ; not the cheapest option.)

Got the Toyo Proxes T1-R 215/40/ZR17s from them too (£73.24+vat each).

They're fairly wide in the arch so the important thing was a stiff set-up and adjustable ride height. It's taken a few alterations as the new suspension settles, but I think I'm there now.

Good luck with yours! :)

Theyre worth every penny mate imo. I hd the 16's

Do you think having 205 tyres would reduce the rubbing?

As you mention it, i'll need to take the corners a bit easy till i stiffen up/change my suspension too.

tt comps are cheap ish and will fit over your brakes with no probs.

I know, i just sold a set! :wink: