Sign in to follow this  
DUB

DOES ANYONE KNOW??????????

Hi silly question really but hey it is me........... I want to get shot of those shitty Nokia 5+" speakers in my front doors - last night i wiped one of my standard pod's off to see what I could get away with pushin in without having to get new pod's - anyway once i'd got one off the car and took out the Nokia pap - I remembered that a while back I updated my home entertainment system and that I had some speakers slightly bigger in the old system {but for the house} so I've pushed one in the pod its tight but goes in / the cone is bigger and the last time they were use they kicked - is there any difference between house speakers and car speakers? can I use these ? will it work proper? thanks for any help guys :notworthy:

I don't think it would work very well really.

You would get sound out of it. However they run at a different Ohm rate so therefore you would lose quality in a big fashion. Also your home speakers are designed to run in a particular enclosure, which you won't be able to replicate, again to teh detriment of quality!

spend £50 on some proper car audio ya cheapskate ;)

reminds me of a mate at uni who had two home HI-FI speakers in his boot for his 'tunes' - not even good ones mind you, those cheap nasty plastic enclosure types that you get on chav pimp-my-ghettoblasters. He did drive a nova though.

Ha ha - hey I was only playin to see what i could do! And don't nock Nova's we all had to start somewhere.................................... I had one for a couple of years until one late night in a club - a few blackthorne's and Vodka's later and it ended up in some old blokes front garden/ through his front wall with the engine in the passenger seat next to me - lost a front tooth on that joy ride - and 9 hours in a cell {the good old days - young dum and full of c?m and all that} cheers for the help Blue_Joe

However they run at a different Ohm rate so therefore you would lose quality in a big fashion.

Pardon? The impedance of most car speakers (2-8 ohms) is in the same region as most hi-fi speakers (4-8 ohms) so that's unlikely to make much difference to quality. It could affect the volume relative to the original speakers though.

Also your home speakers are designed to run in a particular enclosure, which you won't be able to replicate, again to teh detriment of quality!

Right, and car speakers are? I'm guessing, but I'd imagine ICE manufacturers base their designs on an "average" door volume, and can't/don't take into account the construction of any particular vehicle's doors. At the level of speakers anyone would consider butchering to use in-car, there's not going to be much to consider enclosure-wise apart from volume.

I'm not reccomending this idea, but if you don't or can't spend the money on proper car speakers, there's no reason not to try it.

as above, but from experience the impedance between speakers in the house is different to car audio ones and you may well damage either the speakers and/or the stereo by using ones of a different impendance

as above, they'll be in a similar range. I'd be very suprised to find a hi-fi speaker that wasn't between 4 and 8 ohms imp. Neither of which would present a problem to a HU or ICE amp. The only way you could damage anything due to impedance would be if you ran an amp into too small an impedance, I wouldn't want to run 2 ohm speakers off a HU for instance. You don't tend to find anything as low as that in hi-fi, because most hi-fi amps aren't designed to be stable into loads that low in impedance.