Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

Rods on a corrado VS rods on a golf 8v.

I know this may seem childish to ask as I have been working on my C for years and have always heard that G60 connecting rods are heavier duty than a standard 8V connecting rods.

so Im wondering if people have pictures of the difference,

also has anyone thrown a rod on a G60 recently or at all? I dont see too many people with thrown rods.

and one last thing, my machineist told me if I was going to be replacing the rod bearings I would have to have my rods shaved and honed because the compression difference from the ARP rod bolts would squish the bearings differently and would cause uneven wear.

hes my friend so I dont think he would tell me that for nothing, besides he would be doing the work for free in the end, I just dont want to rip the head off anymore, I finally get a good headgasket to seal properly!

any help would be cool, and please let me know if I can replace my rod bearings with new ones and ARP's cause I have this knock thats either the cam or the rod bearings, (its very repeditive which makes me think cam).

so um yeah, childish, oh yeah and for those wondering the AMG charger is still in the shop being welded, we had to rip it apart and clean it because there was epoxy on the alumium and was contaminating the weld. will be staying calm at 17psi for a while though... need to take baby steps with boost.

G60 rods are very similar to those on a Golf 1 1.6 GTI (EG engine in Europe), 136-mm long with a 22-mm gudgeon pin (wrist pin to you Yank types), whereas the normal 8v 1.8 rod is 144-mm long with a 20-mm gudgeon pin.

I'll get you some photos later of a G60'PG' conrod next to a 1800cc 'KR' valver conrod and post them up.

aren't G60 rods solid too where the 8V rods have an oilway in them to lubricate the wrist pin bearing? That's part of the reason the G60s have an oil-squirter to lube the wrist pin.

Here you are mate,the G60 'rod is the shorter much beefier on the left while the drilled rod on the right came out of an old golf 1800cc 'KR' valver's mill.

N.B:not all conrods were drilled, it seems Vw put them in some valvers whilst others did with out.

thank you very much for those pics,

anyone thrown one of the G60 rods recently?

and is my mechanic right when he talks about compression from new bolts?