Sign in to follow this  
daytona600

Spring height puzzle

I bought a standard ride height SPAX suspension kit last year which I intend to fit this weekend. I wanted to lower the VR6 by 40 mm so I decided to buy some lowered springs on eBay. I stood them up against the standard height SPAX ones and they are identical.

I am presuming that they should be 40mm shorter than standard or do they just compress more when fitted?

I have tried to contact the seller but got no reply :(

Bugger! Then I wasted 80 notes on the springs then. I am sure I checked a few weeks ago and spax listed 2 kits, 1 standard & 1 lowered. I checked the part number and it came up as the standard one?

I'd agree with these guys. Sorry that Im unable to measure my standard springs, but they're on my car, lol.

Im sure the SPAX will be -40mm; as thats what came off my car. Why not contact SPAX ??

Which kit did you get; either of these TWO? (both of them lower the car)

Why not sell one set on here or ebay to get money back or even a profit?

Stu

ps - what wheels you got on it now? Been ages since I last saw you posting about all this

Hi, found the info I had before [http://www.spax-suspension.co.uk/c1473_3203_7704_7705_7725.htm] lists 2 kits for the VR a TAP107 which I have & a TAP190

The site states that the TAP190 lowers by :40mm but the TAP107 says lowers by: (nothing indicated)

Most confusing. However I just gave them a call & there is no difference between the 2 kits. Wish I had called before I presumed they were standard height ;-)

So if anyone wants a set of 40mm lowered springs let me know or look on ebay soon!

Stu, I still have the Wolfrace Europsort wheels with nankang ultrasport NS-II tyres. Need 2 new fronts after I have fitted the suspension. Can you recomend the best tyres or should I stick to the nankangs?

If you're happy with a tyre, stick with it. Just remember what ever new tyre you get, they will have huge tread and therefore move more and feel a bit wobly/less-traction. Bed them in as you would with the Triumph.

Im sure there is a Tyre Discussion thread somewhere. Lots of people like Toyo Porxes and I can vouch for those too, but beware they wear very quickly. I got 5k mile out the fronts. My Dunlop 9000s are ok but not great in the wet and the Yokos on the rear are scarey in wet.

Stuart's right there's a stickied big thread for tyre discussions. But if you get Proxes avoid the t1-s, they're crap, the t1-r however is the highest rated tyre you can get in 195/50/15 fitment (according to tyretest.com)

yeah thanks, spoke to the people just round the corner from work, they recomended both Toyo & Avon, Avon wins so far at £78 each. Will get them fitted and the wheels aligned after I (hopefully) get the shocks on this weekend.

Rainsport 1 is what you want, awesome tyre. The highest score on reifen test for wet and braking performance (higher than the F1) and the same as most other competent sport tyres in the dry.

On the springs.... sport springs make look the same height as OE but they compress differently when assembled. The key is matching shortened dampers.

My old -35mm H&R springs were approx 10mm lower than the OE springs when stood side by side, but when sat in the konis, they were a lot shorter.

Yep - another vote for the uniroyal Rainsport 1's...

I'm on my second set now, first set lasted 20k miles...

Got 4 fitted by Tyres Direct in Beccles for under £50 a corner (inc tyre disposal) in 195/45/16, very good service too!

Interesting, think I'll probably stick with either the t1-r or the bf goodrich g-force profiler, can't decide which one though, the toyo scores slightly higher for grip but the profiler is a better looking tyre :?

Probably would have gone for the rainsports if I still lived up north but it doesn't rain that often down here so dry weather performance is more important.