Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Indicator, indicating quickly....?

Probably being a complete muppet here, but can some tell me why my indicator has suddenly starting indicating at twice its normal rate. All bulbs are working fine.

Could it be the relay?

side repeaters?

have you got LED bulbs anywhere in the indicators?

side repeaters?

have you got LED bulbs anywhere in the indicators?

Nope. Normal bulbs all round. side repeater bulbs are fine

I've only checked the bulbs on the side that is indicating quickly. only does it on the nearside indicators.... :?

it will normally be the bulbs on the otherside that wouldnt be working, eg right hand indicator indicates quickly = one of left hand indicator bulbs blown

it will normally be the bulbs on the otherside that wouldnt be working, eg right hand indicator indicates quickly = one of left hand indicator bulbs blown

Is that right? Well bugger me! I'll check them all then :shock:

eh? how does that work, Foggystorm?

The relay works on a bi-metallic strip which gets hot when current flows through it as the bulbs are on... it breaks the contact as it bends which lets it cool and thus make the contact and heat up again causing the bulbs attached to flash... If a bulb on the other side has failed, then it has no part in the side which is flashing too quickly and isn't part of the problem...

I figured it was to do with the resistance change as there was an open circuit on the other side, I might be wrong though as last time I had this problem was in 1995 on a Skoda Favorit and there have been a lot of heavy nights on the lash since then, but I was sure that was what I found then, plus that car kwas kind of weird (eg my mileometer stopped working after 19k miles, one day I changed the windscreen wiper arms and blades and gave it a wash and the milometer started working again!!! after 3 years of not working)

Couldnt it just be a loose connection. When it happened to me i found the rear cluster connection was loose. Pushing it in properly sorted the prob

Couldnt it just be a loose connection. When it happened to me i found the rear cluster connection was loose. Pushing it in properly sorted the prob

I'll check that cos I recently changed the bulbs in the rear clusters (couple of weeks ago) so that sounds like it could be the problem

Christ, how long did this take me to sort out! :lol:

Well it turned out to be a dodgy connection in the cluster! Replaced the bulb, and is now fine! The bulb still worked, but it was a stop and tail bulb and the locater pins weren't directly oposite each other......

Yes, there's two types. You (or someone) bought the wrong one!

Er, just happened to be the one I picked out of my tool box, not thinking about it!!