Sign in to follow this  
bighands

URGENT help needed with 1.8 golf

Right, so always thought the timing was out on the golf, so i have had a go at setting it up myself, found TDC with the screwdriver down the plug hole method, and found the flywheel timing mark, and the mark in the crank pully, on the plastic cover and all matched spot on, set the distribtor to dead on 1, and set the cam timing to TDC, on the side of the head, and now it feels like its got a potato stuck in the exhaust?!?!?!? What have i done wrong??

oh its a golf 1.8 E and hqs carbs, not even injection!!!

Not corrado but VAG :-)

Andy

Poor, very poor lol Sod it think i will put it back to 'wrong settings' as cant be arsed to fook around with it somethings slipped or i dunno but it isnt right!!!

Andy

Sounds like the timing could be out. You need to check the mark on the auxilary shaft matches the one on the crank pully. And then the rotor arm should point to the notch on the distributor body

bcstudent, and we have a winner... ;)

Yup, bighands, you've just successfully set your engine up to fire at TDC, not at 6 degrees... :roll:

Time to get a timing strobe out and set it up properly again.... ;)

Great sounds like fun! I put it back to the way it was so it actually runs, but has always seemed to lack in the high revs and idle +-1000 revs all over the place!

I think the TDC mark is on the pully on the bottom timing pully, it lines up with the mark on the plastic cover, and through the flywheel it lines up not really a 'O' but more of a punch hole?! lined the cam sprocket up with the inner line and the edge of the top of the head and the dizzy with No1 mark?

But you say it should be 6deg before?? would that be the line about an inch and a half or so to the left of the 'O' on the flywheel, looking from the passangers side to the drivers through the flywheel hole??

Andy

Ah set it to that, and SHE A BEAST!!

But has now made it even more apparent that the clutch needs replacing, the extra power means slippage :-( if it isnt one thing . . . . .

Can lock this now, cheers for the advice!

Andy

errr i dunno, its a MK 2 with the altonator down the bottom not on the end of the cam, and not cross flow, aka inlets and exhausts go in the same side?!?