Sign in to follow this  
chrisw

remember your safety glasses!

I was sanding down some rust from my crossmember the other day and I managed to get some specks stuck in my eye! I have just been down to the hospital where a nice doctor fished them out with a needle. Not pleasant and a lesson well learnt.

.... not nice, i had a small particle or two removed from one eye after using an angle grinder without the glasses ... never again, i hate hospitals at the best of times so i wasnt too impresed about them cleaning my eye out..glad they did tho !! :-P

Yeah - rusty metal is probably the worst...

I managed to get some solder in my eye a few weeks back, completly stupid of me as I had a pair of safety goggles right in front of me...

Anyways it flicked up and flew straight in before I had time to blink, hurt like hell and I was shatting myself as my eyesight has always been second to none and thats one part of your body you really don't want to damage!

Thought i'd have to go to hospital but managed to swap it out myself using lots of water and a cotton bud...

Went to the opticians a week later and he could see no signs of it as the cornea heals itself in 48 hours and altho the blink usually saves you the temp of the metal would have reduced by the time it hit...

One bit of advice he did give tho was not to go to casualty with this sort of injury, he said always ring your GP's emergency number or NHS direct and get refered to the eye clinic - he has seen more harm than good done by casualty staff!

I am 61 and everytime I swither about "should I use the glasses" for this or that job, I know the answer should always be "yes" and I tend to err on the side of safety first.

I encourage you younger guys to do that, too.

It's a cliche, but you only get issued with one set of eyes and they are priceless.

There can be nothing worse than regretting for the remaining decades of your life that you were a tad lazy when doing a dumb, simple little job and it cost you dearly.

My dad was helping our mate to fix his topper, the gearbox on it had been abused by a lump of concrete in the field, anyway, when they were trying to beat the bearing off it, a sharp slither of metal flew off and stapled our mates eyeball to his skull!! resulting in a bit of an operation, seriously reduced vision (about 10-20% of normal) in one eye and the brief risk of total blindness.

It doesn't take much to knacker yourself kids!!! And it's usually when you don't expect it that things go nasty too....