Sign in to follow this  
Jay2

Anyone removed the spare wheel for ICE bits?

I was just wondering if anyone had removed the spare wheel and used it as extra space for an amp or CD Changer?

At the moment my amp and changer are attached to the rear seats, with a Bass Box sat in the boot.

The car is my daily driver and there isn't much room with all the stuff in at the moment, especially as I can't fold the rear seats down for extra space without ragging all the cables out of the amp.

Thought about putting amp, changer in the corners of the boot, at the back of the rear clusters, but then how do I change a bulb in an emergency?

I've built a false floor in the boot so no chance of damaging anything if I put it underneath.

Can anybody help or done the job?

In my 93 i had had a used part of the spare tire well as part of the sub box and then just fiberglassed the rest, turned out quite nicely. And right now in my 90 im running my mtx thunder 3404 4 channel amp in the spare tire well and i made a new floor board for the trunk out of 3/4 inch mdf and carpeted it to make it have a nice clean look. I could probally get pics of the 90's if you want.

You could always fit a cd changer under the armrest where the first aid kit would normally live, could be fitted into the lift up section so I would still allow you to fold the seats etc.

You could always fit a cd changer under the armrest where the first aid kit would normally live, could be fitted into the lift up section so I would still allow you to fold the seats etc.

That is a good idea. Stealth, but still acessable from the interior...

Only issue is with 3 in the back the middle seat would be a little uncomfy...

Yep, had thought about this as well mate, moving the CD Changer to the armrest.

Wasn't sure how to get past the problem of folding the rear seats flat.

Anybody got any pics of this done?

I was then going to put some connectors on the amp and bass box in the boot so that they could be removed quickly for lugging stuff around in.

All the suggestions are a great help. Cheers.

http://upload.the-corrado.net/files/134 ... %20closeup

http://upload.the-corrado.net/files/134 ... in%20trunk

http://upload.the-corrado.net/files/134/Corrado%20trunk

there ya go, the last pic is of it with the cover i made out of 3/4 inch mdf. makes a very nice soild cover over the spare tire well for protecting the amp.

And sorry for the pic quality. the camera on my phone sucks

The spare wheel well is a good place for ice etc. When i bought the old bbg distribution corrado, they had fitted a bass cube cross overs etc under the amp rack in the well it looked trick and allowed room for the rest of the install. The arm rest is a good place as well just the right size for most changers as well! :)

I'm sure I've heard somewhere that the spare wheel actually helps keep the boot section rigid during a rear impact.

I'm sure I've heard somewhere that the spare wheel actually helps keep the boot section rigid during a rear impact.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me, but then it depends on what kind of structure you put in it's place as to how weak you make the rear of the car I guess.