Sign in to follow this  
mbaker8v

Windscreen leak

Guys,

seem to have water leaking into the passenger footwell from around the windscreen. Have taken the carpets out in passenger side and the water drips along the back of hte footwell right across the width of it. Took the trim off under the wipers along the bottom of the screen over the weekend and couldnt see anything wrong around that seal, i did apply plenty of sealant just i ncase but still has not fixed the problem...

Where else do screens leak?? Its the original VW screen and has only just started to leak the last few weeks...

Cheers,

Mark

Are you sure it's from the screen, and not coming through the fan vent in the scuttle on the right? My old G60 leaked from here because the drain hole was blocked with loads of leaves etc. The water was pooling up. Also the rubber seal around the vent grille was perished.

If you sit in th ear and get someone to pour water over either the windscreeen, doors and around the scuttle areas you'll see where the leak comes from. I used to get water on the inner sill, which was a classic symptom of a failed membrane. Having replaced the membrane and given it an extra edge seal with bitumen i was still getting theleak. Turned out to be a small gap in the top corner of the windscreen seal which was dripping water along the pillar and down the door frame to the sill. Have a look at the outside top corner of the window and see if there is a gap. If so, fill it with roof sealant.

If you sit in th ear and get someone to pour water over either the windscreeen, doors and around the scuttle areas you'll see where the leak comes from. I used to get water on the inner sill, which was a classic symptom of a failed membrane. Having replaced the membrane and given it an extra edge seal with bitumen i was still getting theleak. Turned out to be a small gap in the top corner of the windscreen seal which was dripping water along the pillar and down the door frame to the sill. Have a look at the outside top corner of the window and see if there is a gap. If so, fill it with roof sealant.

Are you sure it's from the screen, and not coming through the fan vent in the scuttle on the right? My old G60 leaked from here because the drain hole was blocked with loads of leaves etc. The water was pooling up. Also the rubber seal around the vent grille was perished.

I checked the drain holes i nthe scuttle at teh weekend... Where does it leak around the fan inlet? Is it where the inlet assembly drops through the scuttle / bulkhead panel? Water cant run down the actual inside of the inlet can it as it would end up in the blwer and get sprayed out through the vents??

Cheers,

Mark

It was getting in under the little grille that covers the vent, because the rubber seal had perished. It was making all the insulating sponge bits under the left hand side of the dash wet, and was dribbling onto the carpet in the bottom left corner. Think it kind of went around the fan, not through it.

Also had a leak through the door membrane.

As fla says, get someone to put a hose on the roof/screen while you're in the car.