herisites

Rob's R32 Corrado - FOR SALE :(

Well today i sorted out my small oil leak which was in a good place actually as iw as changing the part that was leaking anyway!! It was leaking out of the oil pressure switch for some reason, so i changed the switch anyway as my oil light beeps at me occassionally but goes away again when i blip the throttle over 2.5k rpm so hopefully the new switch has sorted that out as well as stopped the small leak!!

I was expecting this job to be a pig as the switches sit on top of the oil filter housing and Dinkus told me at Stonor that he did his and it was a pain getting to them from underneath as you cant get to them from above ... well i could thanks to my new mechanical knowledge :lol: i just jacked the engine up again and that gave me enough clearance to get to them from above!! Lovely jubbly :D

I fitted my VT front engine mount over the weekend, i got it ready for the charger initially but was eager to test it out asap so i got my hands dirty again and changed it which with my new found skills was piece of piss to do :lol:

At first my initial thoughts were not much difference but after driving it a few times on my usual roads including a bit spirited etc i can notice the difference. There doesnt seem to be that slack in power delivery anymore, and no judders or vibrations that would indicate the power is coming in, its just smooth power delivery which is nice. My gear change seems better as well, i have problems with 2nd mainly in mine, coming towards a roundabout for example and going for 2nd is usually a hard thing to do and always usually end up using 3rd instead, but i can get 2nd easier now so im glad about that, im still going to upgrade the gearbox mount as well though for the mk3 tdi one so that should hopefully make the gear change even nicer!! I also noticed with the mount that at higher speeds it seems a lot smoother, not so much in the ride (especially with the brocks on!) but the revs just seem smooth and when you put your foot down again no comotion or anything you just hear the engine sing and you are away. And last thing which is a bit of a bonus is my wheel wobble isnt as bad! I have crappy universal spacers up front at the mo to clear my calipers (im getting some hubcentric oens though!) so i get slight wheel wobble which is worse at high speeds, but it seems much better now, i suppose its because there is less vibration going through the drivetrain etc in the first place perhaps?? My mate could also tell the difference from just being passenger so it must be doing something :lol:

So i am quite pleased with it, i know i only really got it to stop the engine wanting to take off when i finally fit a supercharger but at the mo im happy with how its improved the car as standard.

I just fitted a Vt mount to mine aswell and they are excellent, like you say Rob it just tightens everything up nicely...

My oil leak on the way back from Stonor was from the pressure switch which can be accessed via the drivers side headlight space but not with aircon pipes in the way, it was a full front end of job, fun and games....

I just fitted a Vt mount to mine aswell and they are excellent, like you say Rob it just tightens everything up nicely...

My oil leak on the way back from Stonor was from the pressure switch which can be accessed via the drivers side headlight space but not with aircon pipes in the way, it was a full front end of job, fun and games....

Must be a common problem then with the switch perhaps? Unlucky for you though mate, mine was a piece of piss to change lol, just jacked the engine up and robert is your mothers brother :lol:

Yeah was going to ask if you had fitted your mount yet. I suppose you might notice it a bit more in yours as its got more power but i am pleased with it so far and like i said its mainly for when i fit the charger anyway!

Must be a common problem then with the switch perhaps? Unlucky for you though mate, mine was a piece of piss to change lol, just jacked the engine up and robert is your mothers brother :lol:

It is indeed a common problem... Think I know of 6 that have been done in little over a month... The inside breaks up, and the oil forces its way through the plastic past the spade connector.

I just fitted a spare valver one I had for the time being. Must change it soon...

It is indeed a common problem... Think I know of 6 that have been done in little over a month... The inside breaks up, and the oil forces its way through the plastic past the spade connector.

I just fitted a spare valver one I had for the time being. Must change it soon...

That explains it then. I changed the one that was leaking on mine but didnt change the other even though i got a new one as the new one is a different colour, the old one thats still on is black but the new one is blue. So does that mean its different or do they just make them blue now?

I think with my next pay cheque im going to sort out my CV joint and wheel bearings and get a mk3 tdi gearbox mount. I think that might make all the difference you know as my gear change into 2nd is definately better now i have the vt mount on!

Also how hard/easy (most likely hard!!) is it to change the track rods? Im thinkin they may need doing being 12 years old and they could be whats clunking with i turn the steering wheel perhaps? When i got the tracking done they said they could probably do with changing.

glad your happy with the mount rob 8)

Yeah cheers for that mate, got to me surprisingly quick! Havent got round to using the easi-bleed yet though! I need to find out what i need to do to the pressure regulator first i think as my car is lowered :?

just jacked the engine up and robert is your mothers brother :lol:

Rob, this jacking up the engine that you now appear to be pretty handy at :) How have you been doing this? Sticking a plank of wood between the jack & the sump, and loosening off the engine mounts? I'm a bit paranoid about crushing the sump using this method!! :?

just jacked the engine up and robert is your mothers brother :lol:

Rob, this jacking up the engine that you now appear to be pretty handy at :) How have you been doing this? Sticking a plank of wood between the jack & the sump, and loosening off the engine mounts? I'm a bit paranoid about crushing the sump using this method!! :?

Yeah pretty much mate. I used a large flat piece of wood covered in old cloths on the sump to spread the weight, supported it with the jack. Then completely removed the bottom nut from the front mount (you can leave the one from the top which actually holds the mount to the engine, the bottom one accessed from underneath holds it to the actual crossmember, its an alan key bolt), then completely removed the rear mount (directly below the air intake pipe, i removed it to gain better access with a large socket and some extensions, there are 2 nuts for the rear mount as it has some sort of bracket on it, undo that one first which i believe is a 13mm bolt then you will see the actual mount bolt which is either 15 or 16mm cant remember which). No need to remove or even loosen the gearbox mount. Then just start slowly jacking it up. It should come up fairly level and sounds a bit dodgy once you get to a certain point as you get plastic pipes etc creaking a bit but it can go a fair way up, well high enough to remove the engine mount and gain access to the wishbone bolts etc anyway.

I actually took some pictures of how i done it so could do a small guide really for those unsure like you and like i was.

Nice one, cheers mate. I seem to have a growing list of things needing done that require the engione jacked up. I guess I'll just bit the bullet & give 'em all a bash at once!

Nice one, cheers mate. I seem to have a growing list of things needing done that require the engione jacked up. I guess I'll just bit the bullet & give 'em all a bash at once!

No worries mate. Once you have done it you will realise its actually a very quick easy thing to do and will make life a lot easier for some jobs (like the oil switches for example, didnt fancy lying on my back trying to do it that way but from the top was piece of piss).

ARRRGHH! My bloody heater matrix blew tonight. I was pretty lucky though as i went over to see my aunty and uncle and it happened just as i parked up at their house!! :shock: My uncle is a bit handy with cars so was able to help my bypass it, we were lucky as he had the perfect sized pipe to use which was an old shower curtain rail, he told me he kept it in case it came in handy :lol: must of hada premanition (sp?) that his nephew would buy an old VW :lol: Karl as usual was a legend being on the other end of text messaging telling me what i needed to do. So thats my weekend sorted out then, i will be fitting a new heater matrix, oh joy!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Gutted for you mate..

Could you be a star and knock up a how do for this including all the bits needed as id like to do mine before it goes and my beige carpet goes pink...

Gutted for you mate..

Could you be a star and knock up a how do for this including all the bits needed as id like to do mine before it goes and my beige carpet goes pink...

Hmm i will give it a try mate. I just looked on the Knowledge Base and there is a rough guide, nothing with pictures though so i will try and take some pics as i do mine to show any difficult parts and what not.

Yeah probably a good idea getting it done as i wouldnt want coolant all over beige carpets! :shock:

ARRRGHH! My bloody heater matrix blew tonight. I was pretty lucky though as i went over to see my aunty and uncle and it happened just as i parked up at their house!! :shock: My uncle is a bit handy with cars so was able to help my bypass it, we were lucky as he had the perfect sized pipe to use which was an old shower curtain rail, he told me he kept it in case it came in handy :lol: must of hada premanition (sp?) that his nephew would buy an old VW :lol: Karl as usual was a legend being on the other end of text messaging telling me what i needed to do. So thats my weekend sorted out then, i will be fitting a new heater matrix, oh joy!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Heh, popular one at the moment, after chatting to the unluckiest Corrado owner on the planet over the weekend his heater matrix blew up on Saturday. Look on at as an opportunity to fix any rattles or squeaks in the dash that are annoying you and change the heater control cables.

Look on at as an opportunity to fix any rattles or squeaks in the dash that are annoying you and change the heater control cables.

Yeah my thoughts exactly, i got a big roll of sticky back felt so i shall stick plenty of that on when i put it all back together!!

bad luck Rob, I know this is a complete PITA. Like you said, at least it went at a convenient moment (not that convenient is ever the right word for this... :roll: ) - mine went on a cold November day and I didn't enjoy waiting for the AA to turn up and give me a lift home! Good luck getting it all sorted at the weekend.

Cheers Faye! Yeah i was lucky it happened when it did really, and lucky with the time of year as i dont need to use the heaters :lol: still not good though as its going to be a hard job to do! Oh well, its more experience in the bag :lol:

Oh and my car is booked into the garage in the morning to get a wheel bearing done. Will it be ok to run with the matrix bypassed?

man have you had any luck with your car recently! its the standard corrado disease... you were thinking of spending money making her prettier, she sensed it and decided to use your money on a new matrix! always the way! good luck getting it sorted, does this mean its curtains to what you were talking about yesterday for a while then? :(

TBH, It is a pig of a job but only took me and a mate about 2 hours with lots of swearing (esp the 3 nuts under the scuttle cover) and the valco pattern matrix from GSF isnt too expensive...........

Good luck :lol:

man have you had any luck with your car recently! its the standard corrado disease... you were thinking of spending money making her prettier, she sensed it and decided to use your money on a new matrix! always the way! good luck getting it sorted, does this mean its curtains to what you were talking about yesterday for a while then? :(

Yeah not much luck at all at the minute :( but i shall persavere and get it all sorted out! Well i looked at the price of a heater matrix on GSF and its not actually that expensive so it shouldnt hold back any of my other plans, i shall order one today and get it done over the weekend and then she's back to normal. Its in the garage at the minute getting the wheel bearings done so thats another problem sorted hopefully! And my goodridge hoses should also arrive in time to fit my brakes over the weekend as well so after that is just waiting for the charger :D

no worries Rob, and it will be fine with the matrix by-passed mate. like i said last night, mine has been by-passed for about 2 months :( i really dont want to do a matrix again. and it will take ya longer than 2 hours sorry timg60 but that is impossible.

karl