Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Machine Polish Training - Done With Pics

Going to do an 8 hour machine polish de-swirling, clay bar, sealing, wax etc tomorrow. Someone from the detailing world forum who does it is going to teach me how to use the Porter Cable properly!

A few of these later and I'll be ready for business! :)

Looking forward to it!

Is it a proper course, or run by a guy who simply details?

Sounds good all the same.

Just a guy near me that details peoples cars. He's doing what he normally does just with me helping and also showing me how to do it.

This is from Iain's post, the guy that was showing me how to use the Porter Cable for machine polishing;

Mike contacted me following a few referrals. He did his homework first and decided to contact me regarding de-swirling his Subaru Impreza WRX. he had attended a few club meets and gathering and seen the swirling letting his car down.

As well as Mike joining in, today Andy also came over to observe and learn

Here's the Scoobie on arrival looking pretty sweeeet Its always nice to get a detail where the before pics look so damn good lol

We started out by rinsing off with the karcher. Thats Mike in the pic (owner of the scooby) not me!

01.jpg

Then washing using the two bucket method. Arches and alloys sprayed with diluted APC.

Next we clayed the car using DP clay and the foam gun. Lower door sills, boot panel and bonnet edge providing the usual areas for greatest attention.

We then re-rinsed the car and dried using the cobra super soakers.We then moved the car into the garage, covered all plastics and seals with 3m tape and recorded the paint depth readings. At this point the whole detail plan took a huge twist. Scoobie paint being gerneal hard, I was expecting a multi stage detail, one to remove swirls over a couple of stages.

02.jpg

ere's some close ups on the bonnet:

03.jpg

04.jpg

With bonnet paint soooo low, roof and boot also showing signs of previous attempts I re-jigged the plan and we attcked as follows:

PC with polishing pad using Clearkote Red Moose Glaze, applied spped one, two passes speed two, and two final passes speed six. We then inspected the area to check the improvement.

No cobwebbing left. Out with the PDG, remeasure the area, ums to new reading showing a minimal reduction of um on the bonnet, drop from 80ums to 79.5ums. Pleased to say the least.

We then continued using the same method across the bonnet, roof and boot. We tested this on the side panels, and made the decision to keep the process here too.

Next I applied Wolfgang sealant using a finishing pad. Using a very easy and liquid sealant, and extra light pressure to lock the RMG in. This was left to cure whilst Megs #20 sealant was applied to the alloys.

Both Mike and Andy wiped the Wolfgang off, once clear I applied XMT finishing glaze using a finishing pad. We allowed half the car to cure before beginning to wipe clear. This was then topped with the WWW wax and a hand applicator.

As the WWW cured I followed round using a finishing pad, and Pinnacle Crystal mist to spit shine Pinnacle Souveran. A final wipe down with the CM afterwards. Alloys wiped clear, glass cleaned with glass cleaner, and tyres treated to Amror All Tire Gel.

Here's the bonnet close ups:

05.jpg

06.jpg

and the full car shots:

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Cheers to Iain of finerdetails for the experience!

Should hopefully helping him do a silver scooby that needs de-swirling and full interior clean, as well as an engine bay! 8)

Fancy doing mine? My drivers door had a spray a few years back and looks flat as f*ck, and theres loads of swirl marks.

How much Andrew? ;) I'll let you have a drive too :lol:

Don't have all the equipment yet, another month or so.

Will do yours as soon as I can get the following!

1, The PC £B-day pressie :) (get next month)

2, Pads for PC £50 (hopefully next month)

3, Paint Depth Gauge £150 (errrm)

4, waxes/polishes/agents etc £!%£! (after errrm)

5, Professional Canopy for bad weather £450 (cough)

I'll give you a call then! :)

Alternatively if you want me and Iain (who has everything) to do the whole car, and believe me when I say you'll think it was resprayed then I can give you his details. Think his next available slot is Oct now. (got a full time job as well). The good thing is he let's you join in and shows you what he does/uses.

How much we looking at mate? Deffo interested, just need some dinks taken out first though. October sounds ok to me too.

Got another Scooby to do on the 16th. A silver estate.

Full machine polish de-swirl and interior AND engine bay! Should take about 7-9 hours! :shock:

How much we looking at mate? Deffo interested, just need some dinks taken out first though. October sounds ok to me too.

yeah how much ? :lol: 8)

A full de-swirl WILL BE between £120 & £160, depending on how badly swirled it is. Probably charge a little less for the first official few! :wink:

For that it'll take on average 6-8 hours & probably cost me about £30 in products. (not including wear & tear etc)

I'm just about to order several hundred pounds of stuff so I can finally start doing cars at my house. Also getting the Porter Cable from America for my birthday so hopefully by October I can start doing cars here.