Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

A day of mods

I was bored today so I removed the carbon canister and modded the airbox to kill some time :lol:

I also replaced the gear oil with Redline MTL and Slick 50.

All 3 mods have been worthwhile, especially the gear oil :D

To get round the major fuel pongs, I routed a hose into the inner wing and put a foam filter on the end of it (from a nitro radio control car engine). I still get a faint whiff every nown again but I was anyway with the CC fitted, so no change. If it gets bad I'll pull the vent hose all the way to the back of the car and hang it up in the rear arch like MK2 Golfs do. I've left the blue frequency valve connected as to not upset the ECU.

Now with the CC out of the way, I was able to block the standard air box inlet and drill a larger one in the bottom so that I could fit a guttering elbow which pokes into the vacant CC hole. Then I fitted a long flexi hose into the guttering elbow which then clips just behind the trim panel adjacent to the outside air temp sensor. I drilled through the slates, filed them smooth and now the hose gets a real blast of cold air and channels it up to the air box :lol:

I did notice a better midrange but whether that was the result of removing the CC or the airbox mod, I don't know, but either way, she feels slightly more eager.

Kev

I really recommend the above mods. Took it out today for a good drive and the redline gear oil is amazing! The engine is now really smooth and torquey :lol: but I still don't know if that's due to the CC removal, the air box mod or bunging a bottle of Redline injector cleaner in the tank.

I don't get any petrol smells at all when driving. There is a very faint smell when the car is switched off but running, no smells at all. Well worth binning the CC.

Either way, the car rocks.....for the time being!

Kev