Sign in to follow this  
mk1g60

g60 worry

right, with the car parked up and running, all is good but you rev above 2500 revs and theres a rumbling/knocking noise from around the charger/alternater area, this noise is only between 2500 & 3000 revs but the noise is always there when driving after 2500 revs.

now i know this is obviously not good but ive got full intention of having my other charger rebuilt when i get a few quid together for piece of mind.

now i really want to go to ed38 this weekend and im only going to have the g60 available to go in, think i should risk it and just drive the 150 mile trip with the dodgy noise??

karl.

could just be your waterpump making that noise! i had a very similar noise coming from mine when the pump was shagged.. i thought it was the charger aswell but turned out to be the waterpump....

its could be resonic(?) sounds from the charger belt as it pics up speed. are you running tooth belt or std ribbed.?

Stcik a driver around the bracket for the charger/alternator...then stick your ear on it.

be carefull of any jewellry hanging around...try and listen for the noises place of emmitance? :? :lol:

May be the plastic belt wheels...but as said above,i also had a similar noise when my water pump died.

Neil.

its a knocking noise, you can feel it through the plastic cover that goes over the pulley end of the alternater, im just a bit paranoid that its going to go bang and leave bits of charger all over the M6 or M1 this weekend

well the charger didnt blow up, its still in one piece after the trip to ed38, just going to have to be a bit of trial and error to find out whats wrong with it