Sign in to follow this  
selbekk

g60 to 20vt conversion costs?

Hey! Been some time since I've been active on this forum, but now my car is back in the garage, so I need to get my mind going again ;)

The G60 engine just tipped 240,000 km (150,000 miles), and although it works fine still, it has started to "drink" a wee bit of water, and has some minor oil leaks here and there. In other words, I'll need a new engine in a few months or so.

Now, my mechanic turned out to be a vr6 transplant wiz, and says he'll get me an engine, gear box, suspension set up and all I need for a complete conversion, for around £3000-£3100 inc. labour and parts. Which is... well, over-comeable in Norwegian prices.

What I was wondering was, what would a 20vt conversion cost me? I could get my car to the UK if needed.

Oh, and what would be the better motor choice, a 2.8 vr6 or a 1.8 20vt?

Peace, and thanks for all the advice :)

I'd say it could be done for 2k if one did the conversion themself! You'd have to pick the engine up for peanuts but I've seen them go for £200-250 on ebay so anything is possible.

£3k if someone else does it for you. Bit of labour charge there ;-)

I'm going to be putting a 20vt into a mates mk1 shortly so I'll let you know how we get on.. got an intial budget of £1500 so going to be interesting!!

I would want to keep everything exterior as is (standard), so no bigger intercooler or anything fancy right away. I'd stay put with the stock ECU / management as well, as I don't really can't afford anything but the bare minimum as a full time student ;)

So around the £3000 - 3500 mark for the 20vt then? Would that be a better choice than a vr6?

Would that be a better choice than a vr6?

There's very little point in converting a G60 to a VR6 ... homeboy

You'd be better off selling your G60 and buying a VR6 IMO

ey, walesy remember me :D

actually, my mechanic has one for sale, but then I'd have to sell mine, which will probably prove kinda difficult for decent money. :D

from what i can see it makes more sense to convert a vr6 engined corrado to a 20vt than anything other base car....

if you can get a good 20vt conversion done for £3500...thats really not bad

from what i can see it makes more sense to convert a vr6 engined corrado to a 20vt than anything other base car....

if you can get a good 20vt conversion done for £3500...thats really not bad

if you get a GOOD one done for that including all the parts and labour thats excellant

1.8t every time..... vr6s sound good, but aren't overly quick, and worsen the weight distribution.

One of my friends has a 1.8t mk2 golf with avo coilovers, the other a Corrado vr6 with koni coilovers. The golf (admittedly a lighter car, and not a direct comparison in other respects too) makes a complete mockery of the Corrado in every performance test: straight line, roadholding / chuckability.

VRs do make very pleasant mile munchers though.

£3.5k fitted sounds like a good deal to me.