Sign in to follow this  
vwdubs

Stripping Bumpers

Ok guys, as some of you may know my Corrado was written off a month ago but the damage was laughable.

I have just acquired a second hand bumper that needs some work, possibly more than my bumper tbh but its a good test bumper.

I have a little experience of stripping cars down but not plastic bumpers, is there a maximum coursity (is that a word) sandpaper that can be used as I really dont want to be making great caverns on the bumper then spend extra time getting them out.

At the same time is there any safe paint stripper that can be used on bumpers?

Oh I would like to get cracking tonight, have all the sand papers just would ideally like to know if there is any decent stripper out there that could save me the trobs.

Ok I left it alone last night. Having done numerous searches I have come across some strange suggestions as follows;

Question now is this, has anyone tried any of the below and did it work, have you tried some other product with no problems, what I need to avoid is oiling the bumper so paint doesnt stick or warping the plastic.

Oven Cleaner

Brake Fluid

Plastic Model Stripper

Castrol Engine Clean

Or does anyone know of a Plastic Bead Blaster?

I've been told that sanding is a no no because the plastic goes 'fluffy' ruining your surface finish (Anyone??).

I can't see brake fluid being a viable option it damages metal FFS and it's oily!

The engine cleaner I would think would be a de-greaser so no good and the oven cleaner will be caustic so I personally wouldn't want it near my C!

So that just leaves the Plastic Model Stripper, and if it does what it says on the tin it'll work.

Hope this is of some help and good luck.

If it's to remove paint then just use Nitromors or B&Q's own paint-stripper, bumper will be fine. Bumper will still need to be sanded down with the grades though after once stripper done it's work and residue cleaned off etc. to provide good surface / key.

Did the nitromors work ok? I've gotta strip my bumper too and have been puzzled over this one too! I was just gonna go over it with an orbital sander, but like you i'm worried about pitting it.