Sign in to follow this  
Jonny_L

Auto transmission fluid question

Hi guys, I've taken my engine and box out, and today I split the two.

It's a bit of a steep learning curve for me, since this is the first watercooled car i've done an engine swap on, and also i've never touched an auto gearbox.

When i split them, i noticed that theres a bit of transmission fluid around the flywheel (where the clutch would be). Normally i'd worry since the clutch would be getting oiled, but i'm new to automatics.

Is it supposed to do that, or have i got something wrong there? the previous owner had the box rebuild about a year ago.

Also, one of the flywheel bolt holes has slightly threaded on my new engine. It appears that i need an odd tap for it, I think M10x1.0, but nobody sells them that i've found! I don't suppose it's imperial maybe, is it? like 1/32 or so.

Cheers, Jonny

Been there, nearly had a manual box, but my insurance didn't enjoy it. pretty lame really!

I've sorted the bolt out now, just had to do a bit of careful forcing to get it right, but can anyone tell me if the fluid between the engine and box is normal? I'm assuming it's fine and will put it all back, but just wanted to make sure!

Jonny