Sign in to follow this  
Storm_Man

Anyone got advise please

I don't know if anyone can help without seeing or listening to it, but having driven it home tonight I noticed that after I turned the engine off (as well as the normal clangs and ticks) there was a liquid noise. It sounded like the sound you get when water drips into a metal bucket????

Also, the steering can be very heavy. I've checked the fluid and the level is fine but on some 90 degree corners you really have to pull the wheel. On others it's Ok...ish. The top end of the engine has been rebuilt and the chap who I bought if off, said that the steering has been the same since the engine rebuild????

Any ideas??

welcome back to the fold Storm_Man

Thanks - I've missed it!

The troulbe is, I have no idea whatsoever when it comes to mechanics of a car. I want to learn, but my knowledge is very basic! Do you think its worthwhile taking it to a garage and finding out what the faults are and then for me to use the 'search' tools in trying to rectify the problems????

Check the obvious first - PAS belt, it may be slipping. I think you should only have about 10mm movement on the longest run. I guess you know where the pump is? If not, it is the thing bolted to the front botton left (or drv side) of engine, you have to get to it under the bumper in front of wheel.

My wifes Golf intermittantly lossed the PAS when it was wet, the water spray caused it to slip and loose power causing the steering to go heavy when you needed it most.

We were all novices once, you just need the confidence to have a go and to know when not to!