Sign in to follow this  
TomB

A Cautionary Tale....

Perhaps this should be in Drivetrain, but I shall leave that up to the Mods...

I should be on my way back from France at the moment, but I had a bit of a breakdown in the Golf on the M20 at about 7am this morning.

It kept popping out of 5th Gear, then lost a few gears as I pulled into the Services at Jn 8, and then resolutely refused to give me 2nd, 3rd and 5th (I think).

An investigation with the help of the RAC revealed that it would only be persuaded with applications of force from clutch foot & left arm. It then made like the brakes were jammed on when trying to engage Reverse & 1st until I gave it an awful lot of right foot, and even so, it was juddering like something with St. Vitus Dance. Once I finally got it moving, it smoothed out, and only popped out of 5th a couple of times....

Apparently it's a 5 gear VW trait to lose gearbox oil from the driveshaft seals, and the level should get topped up at services but often doesn't. 5th Gear is the first to suffer, and runs 'dry' leading to gearbox issues.

In my case, part of the cogs had jammed part of the other cogs (1st & reverse) and it was only when brutal with the accelerator that I mangled the loose metal and got the gears to mesh.

I may however have FUBARed my gearbox, (I'm not going to know for a couple of weeks if it's going to blow copmpletely) so I recommend checking your gearbox oil (or making sure the garage have) as soon as possible.

Not sure if it's the same on the Corrado as the Mk2, but as it's apparently a VW trait, so best to check perhaps?

Cheers,

Tom

Pretty much the same thing happened to me in my MK2, would not go into 5th, when i got it in it popped out now and again, thankfully it first happened on route to viewing the Storm, so i didnt have to put up with it for long!

yeah mine only had 3rd when i rolled into the garage to get it fixed :D £260 gear box +fitting and drive shafts and hubs all shafted all changed not bad huh?