Sign in to follow this  
Storm_Man

Anyone know more than VW?!

The heater matrix on my '94 Corrado has packed up but luckily the last owner had it replaced within the last year which means its still under warranty. The car is currently in the garage which replaced it but theyve advised that I change the 3 wires that connect to it.

I've phoned VW and asked them to order the wiring but they said that the wire attached to the 'defroster' could be one of two lengths. They don't know why it could be one of two lenths but they said it's not unusual!

Why could a car that is exactly the same as the car sitting next to it have a longer wire than the other for the heater matrix?!

Im reluctant to ask on here if anyone knows the length of the wire, as VW have already said it could be one of two lengths. Having said that, as they were scratching their heads as to why it could be one of two lengths, I'll brave it and ask!

in that case yu really need to get the wire out of the car and check. Although i assume ts the bowden cables you refer to if so it not nessesary to change these until they break as they are replaceable easily (relatively)

I have to order them today if I want them for tomorrow but the garage said they dont have time to take them out today - theyve had the car since Monday!!!

The chap at the garage seemed to think that they may have caused the damage to the control panel because of the age of them.

If this is not the case I won't bother replacing them, but any ideas as to what may have broken the panel? The panel has been replaced twice since 94!

if it is the bowden cables i would assume the different lengths are for the different controls. VW should be able to get the correct one by putting in your reg number into the system

Has this car got air con?

Yes - the car has been fitted with an after market Diavia system.

if it is the bowden cables i would assume the different lengths are for the different controls. VW should be able to get the correct one by putting in your reg number into the system

All three cables are different lengths which is understandable but what they're saying is, the cable that connects to the 'defroster' could be one of two lengths depending on what length of cable is already in the car. They cant tell me why its a different length and what length my car has??

All sorted - or will be. Bought three new bowden cables from VW which will arrive and be fitted tomorrow.

I'm even getting the new matrix fitted by VW for free! The independent garage that first replaced it, tryed to get a new matrix from the VW garage they bought it from - under warranty. Apparently under VW guidelines, if a part is replaced under warranty, they have to carry out the repair themselves. It didn't make sense to me nor the garage but neither of us mind - VW are unnecessarily paying for the work to be carried out by themselves! The garage is happy about it and so am I!