Sign in to follow this  
kenno

Changing steering column HELP PLEASE

Hi there

Hope some1 will ab able to help me, just been changing my steering coloumn over on my 1.8 16v corrado, as some very nice t*at decided to attempt to steal it, so they broke the coloumn, but obviously colud not get past immobiliser.

Anyway, sourced a second hand coloumn and started to swap over, when reomoving old one, loosened all bolts etc, but coloumn would not pull away from lower joint, with a big pull it came off.

Fitted new one, tightend everything up, then found this big spring on the floor DAMN.

I assumed that it must of come off when i pulled the old one off, so i put it on between the lower joint and the coloumn. Seemed to be ok, until i turn the wheel from left to right , i now got a knocking noise. Can any1 help me and let us no if there is a spring between the joint and the coloum

Thanks in advance

Kenno

DSCN0473.jpg

Hello - yes there is and the pic looks right but i'm not sure if the splines should be showing - it may need pushing further into the UJ (you can allow for this with the oval holes the 4 bolts go into..)

I take it the 'hook' is in place - the bit at the bottom that goes over a plastic sleaved bolt...

Hi

Yes the hook is in place, but as far as adjusting it further down to stop teeth showing, i don`t think it will go any further down, but will give it ago if they are not supposed to be showing. Only thing is the bolt that goes through, does so when the column is pushed far enough inwards to allow the bolt to go through

can you host the pic again as there aint one showing

thanks for your help

kenno

Only thing is the bolt that goes through, does so when the column is pushed far enough inwards to allow the bolt to go through

Oh yeah - forget that then as it must be right...

Where did the 'new' column come from?

Is the steering lock working?

looking at the picture

there is 2 coloumns are these for early and later corrados, as i thought they were all the same

the upper one has the spring (4) and some sort of holder (6) where as the lower one does not

its all fitted up, but is making a right knocking going left to right, so i must of got something wrong

arrrrhg

No - ones the adjustable and one is fixed, the fixed one is all seperate as there is not much to it, the adjustable one is a sealed unit and only that bottom bearing (one above the spring) is changeable...

Where did the 'new' column come from?

Is the steering lock working?

The coloumn i bought second hand, off a guy off ebay, sure he said it was off a j 1991, which is what mine is.

The steering lock is all working fine

yes i am pretty sure the noise is coming from the lower joint area, when i turn the wheel and have a look, it seems the spring is making the noise, but i could be wrong.

damn cars, one minuite everything going well then moment of truth comes and your back to square 1

Hmm - I don't think it has to go on a certain way but I did notice mine had some grease on it... maybe its not seated and is 'clicking' round...

You need to look at it while moving the steering...

thanks for all your help mate

just went back out, to have a look and to see where it was coming from, it is def the SPRING, seems to be making the noise, i videod it on my phone, but its not very good quality, can you host vids on here for download.

I am gonna try greasing it but i can`t see abit of grease sorting it out, but worth a try.

The spring is for preloading the bottom bearing. Sounds like it's not pressing the bearing (looks that way in the pic to me) as it supposed to be, and therefore the bearing is loose and floppy as hell. Either you've used the wrong spring or it's not fitted correctly. Yep, the pinch bolt in the UJ only allows the column shaft in a set amount.

Hi guys

SORTED it

Thanks to both of you, kevhaywire, you were right, the spring was not pressing the bearing and thats what was knocking. It was not fitted right to the top, and was very tight and had to force the spring up towards the bearing and over the shaft itself. Greased it all up, gave it a try and knocking has stopped.

Thanks again Kenno