Sign in to follow this  
kerrinmay

Distributor Cap

I replaced my HT leads at the weekend, and noticed that the inside of my distributor cap looked a bit oily, and also the contacts looked quite worn. I replaced the cap just under two years ago, is it normal for it to wear in this time? Think I'd better get myself a new cap and rotor arm ordered today.

Also, should I be concerned about the oiliness in the cap? I read in another topic that this could be the oil seal where the distributor is mounted. I'm a bit scared to attempt to replace that myself, so will probably get the garage to do it when it's in for a service next (due in the next few weeks).

well the dizzy cap/rotor arm are actually service items tho i'd thought they'd maybe last a bit longer than 2years...........did you buy genuine VAG/Bosch bits the last tiem tho??

Yep, I got them from the dealer.

What actually causes them to wear? Just a lot of use? Or is there anything that can speed up the wear?

Does anyone know if VW still glue the rotor arms on? The reason I ask is that when I bought my C almost a couple of years ago, I couldn't get the arm off to replace it (it was glued on), so I asked the dealer to do it, and now I need to replace it again, I'm just hoping that they didn't glue the new one on. I had a quick tug last night and it didn't come off, are they normally quite a tight fit? If I 'mash' if off with a pair of pliers like was mentioned in another thread, could I cause any damage to the spindle it sits on?

snigger :lol:

AFAIK it should come off in your hand - have done mine recently with out problems!

EDIT: can see the tone of this thread falling faster than a lead balloon :oops:

Sorry to nick your thread matey, :wink: but I'll only be quick, If my diz cap and arm are screwed would that make my C have miss fire{s} and lead to over fueling?? just I'm up to my neck in it at the mo and the amount of money I'm putting in the C isn't doing me any favours :cry: :wink:

just I thought that if its missin then wont get fired - hangs about and then gets fired somewhere along the line {when she goes pop} or just gets pushed out the back in a cloud of black sh1t?

Unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge to suggest what might be possible causes/solutions. Hopefully someone else will pick up this thread and provide you with some assistance.

I used to get back-fires with my 1970 VW Beetle - can't quite remember how we cured them, although I did get through two engines plus an engine rebuild in the few years that I owned it!! I've not had back-fires on any cars I've owned since.

I'm trying to get a bit more involved with the mechanics again now - but unfortunately still don't know a whole heap.

Sorry!