Sign in to follow this  
plateletboy

intermittent dipped headlights

Help..!! My first proper problem that will stop me using the car.

I've had the VR for about a month now and am LOVING it..!! However going up a dark windy A road tonight on full beam i dipped to see if any cars were coming in the opposite direction and low and behold there wasnt any light....

not good with a corner rapidly approaching...... however it went straight back to full beam so i pulled over and switched the main switch on and off a few times and operated the stalk a few times and the dipped came back on. quickly got it home on dipped and then played with the stalk a few times and the dipped dissappeared again....!!

any ideas what this could be as ive gotta drive down to devon on thursday night...!! sticky switches in the stalk?? dodgy relay?? im still completely lost with anything on the corrado without a trusty workshop manual yet....

many thanks,

murray

My guess would be the stalk tbh... remove the streering wheel and remove it for a good clean. I'd use some compressed air to blow the dust out and clean all the contacts and then re-fit to see if it's any better...

If you do need to replace it I beleive they are the same as Mk3 Golf ones but the wiring is slighlty shorter - although I don't remember if that causes a pronblem or not! Am sure someone else on here can clear that up though ;)

Hope that helps...

cheers, ive wipped the cowling off this morning before work and gave it a quick spray with WD40 to no avail so far though..... it now just stays on sidelights on the dipped position..... i need to check out the updated loom relays and fuses back seem to find anything like them under the bonnet yet - is corrado wiring always so insane looking???

i thought they maybe similar to golf mk3 - the girfriend has already seen me eyeing up hers to check with.......

anyone know how to get the stalk off, or is it obvious once the steering wheel is off??

thanks

pb

Fairly obvious once the wheel is off IMO... Can't say I've done it on the C but if it's anything like my mk1 then it's very straight forward!

One other thought - do you have an uprated loom? That could also be causing problems...

yeah i believe i do... after a bit of 'internet stalking' of the previous owner who did a lot to it (jedi-knight83 or nathan willits??) i believe it came from 'H100vw' or similar. i had a quick look this morning but couldnt see any obvious fuses or realys near the headlights - where do the uprated looms normally run?? just from the lights to the battery?? would the uprated loom be obvious as in non-original connectors on the lights??!?

the joys of second hand cars...............

pb

Not sure about connections as I've seen some with normal VAG ones and some with out... There will be relays in the loom somewhere so I guess that is another spanner in the works!

Loads of people have the uprated looms on here and should be able to help you with this - I haven't bothered as have fairly good lights as it is!

Sorted..!! was a blown in line 15A fuse. it had really melted itself and melted the inline fuse holder a little bit with it around one of the spades..

why would it melt so bad and not blow initially????

if i only have 1 relay and 1 fuse and it was the dip that went, does that mean i only have the upgraded loom to the dip only???

pb