Sign in to follow this  
Phil K

Running problems (2.0 16V)

Not happy :(

I last used the C to go to No Rice on Wednesday night and it drove there and back fine with no problems...

The return journey was in really heavy rain and I was aquaplaning (sp?) through puddles!

I started it last night to jump start another car and it was fine but after I had successfully got the other car running the engine started to die - I revved it hard and it cleared but as soon as I took the power off it went rough and sounded like it was only firing on 2 or 3 cylinders and finally stalled!

So, I went out and had a look at it earlier and noticed the middle 2 HT leads weren't pushed down fully on the plugs (only by about 1mm) so I pushed them on better and gave the inside of the distributor cap a wipe out with a cloth - although there was no moisture in there...

It then started fine and seemed to be ruining ok until I got it out of the space and out to the road where it started doing exactly what it was doing last night... after it stalled and I started it again it seemed fine until I put it in gear and then it went lumpy and started miss firing again...

The recovery guy has just left and after starting it and giving it a rev he recons it's fuel related (well done - you must be a pro :roll: )

I'm now stuck with a non drivable C and will have to get them out on monday/tuesday to get it towed over the The Phirm and let them have a good look at it...

Does anyone have any suggestions to what could be the cause? I wonder if it has anything to do with the amount of water I had to drive through on Wednesday but can't understand why it would have been fine all the way home and only have this problem now :?

erm, i'm not overly qualified to answer your question, but my 2.0 16v also has been stalling on me a lot recently. I took it into Vw (because I have cash coming out of ears - I wish) and they were pretty unhelpful. When driving away from the dealership, it stalled yet again. RAC bloke said there was no spark from coil and there was no fuel pump feed. After a number of attempts, got it going. It then broke down again 3 miles later.

It's either (possibly) a suspect ECU/relay not switching on or engine pick up sensor not reading movement of engine correctly, so maybe electrical after all.

The excess moisture might have had a negative effect on the electricy bits on yours.

and anybody, btw, how much will I be expecting to pay to sort this out? Thanks anyone, someone etc etc, dlmb500

You tried spraying some WD inside the cap Phil, and inside each lead? (just let it drain away before putting them back on...

Could maybe have damaged the ECU when jumping the other car but that would have been very unlucky? - din't short the leads or get any sparks etc did you?

You tried spraying some WD inside the cap Phil, and inside each lead? (just let it drain away before putting them back on...

Could maybe have damaged the ECU when jumping the other car but that would have been very unlucky? - din't short the leads or get any sparks etc did you?

No sparks mate... looked at the cap and leads and they didn't look like they had any moisure but will give that a try anyway - will be calling in at The Phirm this evening to see if they can help... I hope it's not the ECU :(

cant really help you mate but hope you can get it sorted.

Mine is still running a bit off colour when it wants to be. But I still need to swap the ignition switch and hope for the best.

The 2.0 valvers seem to be more stubborn, it seems the 1.8s are easier to diagnose?

Have you looked down the spark plug holes/recesses to check if any water has got down there?

If you are not sure......take each spark plug out and then refit it.

This will let the water drain into the cylinders but it won't do the engine any harm.

I'de also be cautious about jump starting anyone elses car unless you disconnect the battery leads from your car first.